Dual Core or Single core if I was to buy RIGHT NOW?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
one last question - do I need to reinstall windows if I upgrade CPU/motherboard/RAM etc?

If you are asking that question, then usually 'yes', you'll want to re-install the OS + chipset drivers + video/sound drivers + misc.

There are ways to avoid it, but they are more complex than just re-installing for most people... you'd likely save time / problems in the long run vs just waiting for someone else to explain it. (I don't want to be even partially liable, thus recommending this way).

Note: If you are moving a RAID array back all the data up to a single drive / or DVD-R's, tape, etc, then recreate the RAID on the new system and restore the data.

MajorPayne

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Hi All, Im also in the same position on which to buy right now also.
I was courious if anyone has or is running any type of B.O.I.N.C.
Projects or similar, on the Dual Core Procs. ? Im assuming that the
Dual Core is much more efficient running Boinc then the single.

Thanks for any Info.
MP

pyrix

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2005
Used to run BOINC for SETI@Home, now donate my sparse CPU cycles to Folding@Home, which doesnt use the boinc client. However, check the host websites, just search for a dual core processor and compare it to the single cores.

Again - am stretching budget as is, dont have cash to go an opteron.

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Go dual core, more apps are becoming multi threaded, and everyone who has made the plunge, I haven not yet :( , raves about how great it is. Stick with 7200 HDD unless you really care about load times dropping all of three seconds, If you do not plan to overclock go for value ram and potentialy save alot of money. If you do plan to overclock go with some good ram and get an Opteron.

Spin

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004

Vic

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2004
Intel is planning to slash their dual-core prices
come April, as much as 50%. This may be
the result of ramping up their 65 nm fab
with higher production yields.

WAIT!!

Sincerely yours,
/s/ Paul Andrew Mitchell
Webmaster, Supreme Law Library
http://www.supremelaw.org/

Aye, their planning to blow AMD out of the water! Where it realy hurts - money!!! pricess!

But does this mean better performance? NO..... I dont think so, not as long as most s/w are still single core threaded.

Mines a Dual core, but the s/w are single core.......hmmm simple.

admiral25

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
this is what did

dfi landparty ultra d
opteron 165 dual core oced to 2.6ghz fx60 speeds with stock cooler/voltage
2gig ocz 2x1gig 2-3-2-5 ram oced 2-2-2-5
sapphire x1900xtx stock u dont need this unless u want the ultiamte g-card
maxtor sata 250 gig 16mb buffer

anyway the opteron is far better than the 3800x2 1 reason is it has 1mb per core vs 512k per core on the 3800x2 and the stock cooler on the opteron 165 has 4 heat pipes vs the crappy one on the 3800x2 comes with.... but u need a good mobo for the opty 165 because it has a 9x multiplyer vs the 3800 witch has a 10x multiplyer... in the end the 165 is the best bang 4 the buck hands down, im running a fx60 @ 1.3 volts and can go higher if i wanted but 2.6ghz is more than enough for anygame/program and u have 2 cores running @ the same speed

pyrix

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2005
this is what did

dfi landparty ultra d
opteron 165 dual core oced to 2.6ghz fx60 speeds with stock cooler/voltage
2gig ocz 2x1gig 2-3-2-5 ram oced 2-2-2-5
sapphire x1900xtx stock u dont need this unless u want the ultiamte g-card
maxtor sata 250 gig 16mb buffer

anyway the opteron is far better than the 3800x2 1 reason is it has 1mb per core vs 512k per core on the 3800x2 and the stock cooler on the opteron 165 has 4 heat pipes vs the crappy one on the 3800x2 comes with.... but u need a good mobo for the opty 165 because it has a 9x multiplyer vs the 3800 witch has a 10x multiplyer... in the end the 165 is the best bang 4 the buck hands down, im running a fx60 @ 1.3 volts and can go higher if i wanted but 2.6ghz is more than enough for anygame/program and u have 2 cores running @ the same speed

Dude, paragraphs.

Anyways, much as I would like an opteron and all the other stuff, I am stretching my budget as it is if I were to go dual core.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS