Dual Core Pentiums?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

In article <hfl3a1pit5p4f5870g63a7f406kgvcms6l@4ax.com>, Mxsmanic
says...
> Conor writes:
>
> > It isn't to discuss homebuilt PCs ...
>
> Looks like alt.comp.hardware.PC-HOMEBUILT to me.

From the group FAQ...

It is a bastard child of the newsgroup
alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt that was intended to offload discussion
related to assembling PCs from consumer-level boards and devices, from
the
discussions of building computer parts from electronic components.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"

BP

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <hfl3a1pit5p4f5870g63a7f406kgvcms6l@4ax.com>, Mxsmanic
> says...
>> Conor writes:
>>
>> > It isn't to discuss homebuilt PCs ...
>>
>> Looks like alt.comp.hardware.PC-HOMEBUILT to me.
>>
> From the group FAQ...
>
> It is a bastard child of the newsgroup
> alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt that was intended to offload discussion
> related to assembling PCs from consumer-level boards and devices, from
> the
> discussions of building computer parts from electronic components.

Funny. I was politely ushered out of that group way back for posting about
questions about homebuilt PCs and they sent me HERE!
I'm expecting Kadichiata Man any minute now!

BP wrote:

>>And who said "PCs?"
>
> What's the name of this group again?

Irrelevant to what was written.

>>>Windows couldn't multitask until version 3.0,
>

>>Not true.
>
> Wow. All that swearing for nothing.

Not from here there wasn't.

BP wrote:

> "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
>
>>Mxsmanic wrote:

>>>I've been running a dual-processor system for eight years. It has been
>>>there for those who wanted it.
>>>

>>Yes, there were no laws preventing someone from buying them. That does
>>not, however, mean the market they were intended for was 'home user'.
>>
>>I'm running dual processor systems too. I also have a PDP-11 minicomputer
>>and a Data General Nova 2/10, but they weren't intended for the typical
>>'home user' either.
>

> Wow! Where do you buy replacement tubes for that PDP? ;-P

All 'solid state' but I do have a vacuum tube module from an old tube computer.

The tubes test good.

Mxsmanic wrote:

> David Maynard writes:
>

>>Yes, there were no laws preventing someone from buying them. That does not,
>>however, mean the market they were intended for was 'home user'.
>

> It's hard to see a clear advantage to running more than one processor
> for an average home user. The average user would be better off with a
> single, faster processor. There are some advantages to multiprocessor
> systems on servers, and on workstations if no single-processor system is
> available with the requisite total horsepower.

Again, you drift off into ancillary matters. The issue was why there aren't
more SMP aware applications when dual boards have been 'around for decade'
and the answer is quite simple. There is not much incentive to write SMP
aware applications for people who don't generally use multiple
processor/core systems.

The 'decade' worth of multiple processor systems were generally for
professional use and what SMP aware apps were traditionally written for and
not the 'home user'. And if the 'home user' starts using multiprocessor
systems in significant numbers then the apps will follow, just as they did
for the professional markets.

> I have a slight personal
> affection for multiprocessor systems because they remind me of
> mainframes, but it's hard to see any clear advantage to having them
> beyond the handful I've already mentioned.

No offense but that's been your opinion of just about every modern
computing device, from PDAs to notebooks to current computer system which
you claim are 'no faster' than 50 years ago, so you'll pardon me if I don't
take your 'of no use' comment to heart.

>>I'm running dual processor systems too. I also have a PDP-11 minicomputer
>>and a Data General Nova 2/10, but they weren't intended for the typical
>>'home user' either.
>

> Were there multiprocessor PDP-11 systems?

Not shared bus.

BP writes:

> Good thing I didn't reference punch cards!

I was still using punched cards in the 1980s for bootstrap loaders. I
don't know if they are still usable for that purpose. I'm sure there
are still people using card punches and readers somewhere. Punched
cards are very convenient. I used to be fairly good at keypunching.

BP

"Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> BP writes:
>
>> Good thing I didn't reference punch cards!
>
> I was still using punched cards in the 1980s for bootstrap loaders. I
> don't know if they are still usable for that purpose. I'm sure there
> are still people using card punches and readers somewhere. Punched
> cards are very convenient. I used to be fairly good at keypunching.
>
> --
> Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.

A favorite prank in college was slipping nonsense cards into someones stack
before the got their turn on the VAX. We never let our stacks out of our
sight!

me@privacy.net writes:

> But aren't home users becoming more and more like the
> above?

Not that I can see. The average home user with a recent PC already has
far more horsepower than he needs. Only video games require any real
horsepower today, plus a few niche applications such as the
aforementioned DVD work.

Mxsmanic wrote:

> me@privacy.net writes:
>

>>But aren't home users becoming more and more like the
>>above?
>

> Not that I can see. The average home user with a recent PC already has
> far more horsepower than he needs. Only video games require any real
> horsepower today, plus a few niche applications such as the
> aforementioned DVD work.

Different verse to the same song that gets sung everytime the CPU takes
a leap forward. The samething was said of the 386, 486, Pentium, PII,
PIII, Xenon, etc.... Samething was said of 10 MB harddrives...then 50,
100, 256, 500, etc.....

BP

So Dave, what do you see as the next significant *functional* advancement
for the home PC user?

While I can agree that a dual core processor for a user who only surfs the
web is comical, it has been my experience (primarily with IMB compatible
PC's and the Windows OS since 1991) that it is really not the processor that
drives the need to upgrade. It is the need for modern peripherals and OS
compatibility with them that drives the average home user. The processor
sort of just comes along for the ride. Home users today have a need for
several USB connected devices so they desire multiple USB connections, front
and rear. That means they need a new case and a mainboard/chipset to
accommodate the connections. (I'm being overly simplistic here, there are
obviously multiple needs at work). Then the OS "needs" to be updated to make
use of the new functions and the new OS has minimal/recommended hardware
requirements. So you find a mainboard that fits the needs list and
hardware/memory requirements and that mainboard and chipset is designed
around the processor, which of course is the latest and the greatest
available. You didn't want to upgrade your processor, you wanted a bunch of
freakin USB connections!
So now let's look at today's PC market. We've got PCI-express cards coming
out, PATA HDDs are looking kind of Mesozoic, etc. So you bounce over to
Newegg and look at mainboards to see what's new that has the "needed"
features and there they are: 955 chipsets all built around dual core
processors from Intel or AMD. 865 chipset boards out of stock or in the
specials bin.
So that's the market reality. Old as capitalism itself. You don't repair the
car, you trade it in. Smart? No. Unless you are on the board of D at Intel.

You seem like a knowledgeable guy who's been around a while, do you see
anything on the horizon that would actually justify a system upgrade for the
home PC user?

BP wrote:

> So Dave, what do you see as the next significant *functional* advancement
> for the home PC user?

Oh wow, if I could definitively answer that question HP should put me on
the board ;)

I can tell you what Intel thinks/thought (depending on when you ask) the
big thing would be and that's multimedia, in all it's glory. We were all
supposed to be streaming full screen DTV/HDTV, downloading movies (paid
for, of course), while simultaneously burning DVD movies of our kiddies
taken with the camcorder. But, for one, broadband hasn't exploded at the
rate hoped for (neither has DTV and HDTV, even with government mandates,
but that's another story). It also seems to me that high power media apps
(HTPC for one) are overly complex (for the home user), rather buggy, poorly
integrated, unrefined, and comparatively expensive.

As one example of unrefined (just my opinion), I know of one HTPC
'integrated' application that boots up with a menu. I.E. "what do you want
to do?" Well, dad gummit, I'd like the thing to boot up in the same state
it was in when it left. In my case, the TV. My TV, the thing it's
supposedly replacing, does. I'd like to be able to hit the button and walk
away, not sit there for the 'next question'. How about being REAL clever
and go to the TV normally but play the DVD if there's one in the drive,
instead of having to exit 'TV mode' and enter 'DVD player' mode? Maybe I'm
odd but it seems a rather simple thing to have thought of (I'll admit it's
also humorous to watch my brother-in-law fiddle with a gaggle of switches
trying to figure out what component is connected to what in his 'hardware'
home theater, so it's not just a 'software thing')

I'm not saying that description applies to every one of them. It's just an
example of how that particular one left a lot of thought out of the
product. Others have their own problems.

I have some other multimedia ideas of my own but not all the pieces have
been invented yet.

As for other apps, personally, I'd like to see more development in voice
recognition as well as AI, but I'm not 'in charge'.

One thing I'm rather surprised about is, considering the traditional
'fight' in a family to see who gets the computer when, that there isn't
much in the way of multiple terminal activity going on. I'm not sure that's
the best solution but I just don't see much discussion about it other than
"get another computer."

> While I can agree that a dual core processor for a user who only surfs the
> web is comical,

See above. It's just 'late'.

While that's true for the moment, that same kind of argument was made about
1 Ghz processors but have you looked at the load on a decent sized DivX
stream? Scale that up to an HDTV image and you got some serious processing
to do while 'surfing' the news (even if nothing else).

> it has been my experience (primarily with IMB compatible
> PC's and the Windows OS since 1991) that it is really not the processor that
> drives the need to upgrade. It is the need for modern peripherals and OS
> compatibility with them that drives the average home user. The processor
> sort of just comes along for the ride. Home users today have a need for
> several USB connected devices so they desire multiple USB connections, front
> and rear. That means they need a new case and a mainboard/chipset to
> accommodate the connections. (I'm being overly simplistic here, there are
> obviously multiple needs at work). Then the OS "needs" to be updated to make
> use of the new functions and the new OS has minimal/recommended hardware
> requirements. So you find a mainboard that fits the needs list and
> hardware/memory requirements and that mainboard and chipset is designed
> around the processor, which of course is the latest and the greatest
> available. You didn't want to upgrade your processor, you wanted a bunch of
> freakin USB connections!

Perhaps, but I'd have just bought a hub.

> So now let's look at today's PC market. We've got PCI-express cards coming
> out, PATA HDDs are looking kind of Mesozoic, etc. So you bounce over to
> Newegg and look at mainboards to see what's new that has the "needed"
> features and there they are: 955 chipsets all built around dual core
> processors from Intel or AMD. 865 chipset boards out of stock or in the
> specials bin.

Not me. Shoot, I'm still 32 bit and PATA <gasp>.

Until SATA gets more of the concurrent command processing added and/or
drive speed increase significantly there's not a compelling reason to
change (even though my board has the ports).

> So that's the market reality. Old as capitalism itself. You don't repair the
> car, you trade it in.

Don't repair a car, trade it in? Man, you live in a different world that
*I* do. LOL

> Smart? No. Unless you are on the board of D at Intel.

The electronic repair/replace decision is based in capitalism but not for
the reason I imagine you mean. Automated production facilities churn
electronics out for a pittance but repair techs don't like working for 10
cents an hour so it's your choice: pay $75, or more, to repair a 10 buck
NIC or buy a new one.

And if you want to 'blame' Intel, and the rest, for making the things so
cheap in the first place then so be it but it hardly seems rational to me.

> You seem like a knowledgeable guy who's been around a while, do you see
> anything on the horizon that would actually justify a system upgrade for the
> home PC user?

Depends on what they want to do. If one is heavy into multimedia, or the
latest game, then there might be a reason but probably not for most home users.

Well, that's not as restrictive as I made it sound. Have you ever timed
crunching a DVD? Wouldn't it be nice if it took half the time?

Now, consider. Maybe the reason more people don't do it now is because it's
such a pain in the neck and takes so long.

David Maynard writes:

> On a single processor system all these things would be taking time away
> from the app on the one processor where on a multiprocessor/core machine
> there's another processor to handle them.

But a faster single processor is still preferable to two slower
processors, as the total horsepower remains the same but the overhead of
managing multiple processors is eliminated.

Mxsmanic wrote:
> David Maynard writes:
>

>>On a single processor system all these things would be taking time away
>>from the app on the one processor where on a multiprocessor/core machine
>>there's another processor to handle them.

Again you take off on a tangent completely different than the topic at
hand, which was whether a system with 'non SMP aware applications'
benefited at all from multiple processors/cores. And they do because there
is not just 'one app' running.

That has nothing to do with whether it's the 'best choice' (especially
since 'best' is dependent on a host of factors), just that the system does
benefit from multiple processors/cores.

> But a faster single processor is still preferable to two slower
> processors, as the total horsepower remains the same but the overhead of
> managing multiple processors is eliminated.

If the only choice was two otherwise identical systems where the processor
speeds added to the same value, and flat out speed on 'the app' (whatever
it might be) was the criteria, then that is probably true.

If, however, 3 Ghz (or whatever the limit for whatever the reason) is the
fastest you can make the processor run then two of them is better than one.

And if system responsiveness, rather than flat out number crunching in one
app, is important then multiple processors are generally better than
singles, even at the same aggregate speed.

No One writes:

> Different verse to the same song that gets sung everytime the CPU takes
> a leap forward.

Only for the past few years it has been true, as hardware speed
increases have outstripped software bloat. Even a PC several years old
is more than sufficient for the main "killer apps" of the average PC
users, namely, e-mail and Web surfing.

ME

>Only for the past few years it has been true, as hardware speed
>increases have outstripped software bloat. Even a PC several years old
>is more than sufficient for the main "killer apps" of the average PC
>users, namely, e-mail and Web surfing.

But aren't more and more home users using their PCs for
media servers? Installing TV tuner cards in them and
storing live Tv feeds on the hard drive for streaming
to their home networks?

BP

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >Only for the past few years it has been true, as hardware speed
>>increases have outstripped software bloat. Even a PC several years old
>>is more than sufficient for the main "killer apps" of the average PC
>>users, namely, e-mail and Web surfing.
>
> But aren't more and more home users using their PCs for
> media servers? Installing TV tuner cards in them and
> storing live Tv feeds on the hard drive for streaming
> to their home networks?

Yes! The home-built Tivo. That's what I'm looking to do next. Are you doing
this stuff now? Got any good how-to links for me?

In article <29j5a15nm6h0hbknph2sofg4oo7mdpo2k8@4ax.com>, Mxsmanic
says...
> No One writes:
>
> > Different verse to the same song that gets sung everytime the CPU takes
> > a leap forward.
>
> Only for the past few years it has been true, as hardware speed
> increases have outstripped software bloat. Even a PC several years old
> is more than sufficient for the main "killer apps" of the average PC
> users, namely, e-mail and Web surfing.

Indeed. I have a nice sideline selling Compaq Deskpros which are
P3/700-833, 128/256MB RAM (depending if they want Win9x or Linux) and
10GB HDDs. Apart from gaming, they're up to everything although
encoding to MP4 is a bit slow.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"

ME

> I.E. "what do you want
>to do?" Well, dad gummit, I'd like the thing to boot up in the same state
>it was in when it left. In my case, the TV. My TV, the thing it's
>supposedly replacing, does.

Excellent point!!

In article <Lb6dnQo7KPkWnz7fRVn-ig@conversent.net>, BP says...

http://anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2190

--

me@privacy.net writes:

> But aren't more and more home users using their PCs for
> media servers?

No.

> Installing TV tuner cards in them and
> storing live Tv feeds on the hard drive for streaming
> to their home networks?

No.

Matt wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> Conor wrote:
>>
>>> In article <TMGdneZXu8X8pj3fRVn-uA@conversent.net>, BP says...

>>> Dual Intel CPU boards have been out for decade. Just how much longer
>>> should we wait?
>>

>> No need to wait. There's a ton of applications written for those 'Dual
>> Intel CPU boards" that "have been out for decade."

>>> Well a decades worth of hardware availability and not many apps a
>>> home user is likely to use doesn't convince me.
>>

>> Non sequitur. The "decades worth of hardware" you talk about was not
>> for the "home user."
>>
>> For all the (non) sense your argument makes you might as well pine
>> that there aren't more 'home user' space suits on the market since
>> 'space craft have been out for decades'.
>>

> I expect the difference is that dual core is going to be much cheaper
> than dual CPU.

I would imagine that's the theory, assuming die yields are good enough.

> That will lead to an economy of scale for the software.

Yeah. People tend to be a bit more reluctant writing software for things
that don't exist vs things that do.

rhys

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 23:22:43 -0000, "John Weiss"
<jrweiss@nospamattglobal.net> wrote:

>"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote...
>>>
>> Dual core CPUS are a complete waste of time for the home market at the
>> moment. Still, won't stop fools being parted with their cash.
>
>Dual-core CPUs or dual CPUs give a significant performance advantage to
>those who multi-task and to those who use SMP-aware apps like Photoshop.
>While this may not describe a majority of the home market, there are a
>significant number of "power users" who can benefit.

Exactly. I built a dual proc Pentium II in 1997, a faster model of
same in '99 for Windows NT, and a dual proc PIII in 2001 for Windows
2000 running several dual-proc aware apps, mostly in the graphic
design realm.

My question is: shall my next PC (which is about due) be dual proc or
dual core? I've seen the benefits for years now, and in my situation a
single processor gets stalled, given my work habits.

Thoughts appreciated.

R.

rhys writes:

> My question is: shall my next PC (which is about due) be dual proc or
> dual core?

What's wrong with two or more dual-core processors?

rhys

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:02:58 +0200, Mxsmanic <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>rhys writes:
>
>> My question is: shall my next PC (which is about due) be dual proc or
>> dual core?
>
>What's wrong with two or more dual-core processors?

Nothing, I suppose, but it's overkill for what I do: multitask under
Win2000 with slightly slower processors, a whack of RAM for Photoshop
and InDesign and a very good video card. I can get less bleeding edge
processors and I don't require super-fast drives.

I'm not doing 3-D renders. Two dual-cores under a 64-bit OS would
indeed rock.

R.

David Maynard writes:

> That, no doubt, is why DARPA chose it to be the preferred "universal
> computing environment" linking together Arpanet research nodes, which
> evolved into the Internet.

I'm sure they chose it for reasons other than technical superiority; if
they wanted the latter, they could have used Multics. Licensing and
availability issues were very important, then as now. The fact that
UNIX was a stripped Multics that could run on readily available hardware
was probably a factor, also, though. And remember that there wasn't
really much (any?) competition.

> One can immediately see the benefits to ARPANET. Applications could be
> developed ONCE and commonly applied to all machines regardless of the
> particular hardware employed at any one site.

Multics was written in a high-level language long before UNIX.