[SOLVED] Dual display port KVM between desktop and docking station suggestions

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Howdy folks! So I have a PC with dual display port outputs (and two monitors, also display port), as well as a docking station for my laptop which also supports dual display port output. I also have one single USB dongle for both my wireless keyboard and mouse.

My question is this: What is the easiest way to set things up where i can switch between my desktop and my docking station without having to unplug anything. Am I bound to using a KVM switch? Because from what I can tell, dual display port KVM switches are pretty damn expensive. Is there an easier way that anyone knows of? I looked back at old threads but I figure technology has changed since 2014.

Thanks!

-David

Solution
If your keyboard and mouse use single dongle, USB switch might be all you need. Switch displays using their Source-Select buttons. If you can set-up your desktop/laptop to set monitors to sleep when when you lock them, most displays will switch automatically to next active input.
So, following scenario:
  • <Win>-L to lock current computer
  • USB switch to other computer
  • press a key to unlock / wake it up
  • work
If your keyboard and mouse use single dongle, USB switch might be all you need. Switch displays using their Source-Select buttons. If you can set-up your desktop/laptop to set monitors to sleep when when you lock them, most displays will switch automatically to next active input.
So, following scenario:
  • <Win>-L to lock current computer
  • USB switch to other computer
  • press a key to unlock / wake it up
  • work

Solution

Mr3dPHD

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
Wait, so are you saying in this scenario I have two lines running out of each monitor to each machine? Like:

Desktop PC<----Monitor A---->Docking Station
Desktop PC<----Monitor B---->Docking Station

And then just switch inputs directly from the monitors?

If that's what you're saying, that's an interesting idea. I have a display port and an HDMI port coming out of each monitor, and my docking station and the video card on my desktop both have two display ports and one HDMI. I suppose I could do one display port and one HDMI out of each. Like this...

Desktop PC<--[HDMI]--Monitor A----[DP]---->Docking Station
Desktop PC<----[DP]----Monitor B--[HDMI]-->Docking Station

Would it be problematic in any way using both a display port and an HDMI as my two inputs for one system?