Question Dual GPU in one system

Jun 15, 2024
I have z790 gaming x ax ddr 5 that can slot 2 GPU at the same time.if i have 4070 super and i insert gtx 1650 super to the system will my FPS increase?is it complicated to have dual GPU in one pc?is my processor i7 14700F can handle 2 GPU?or bottleneck will happen?

Hey there,

Yes, you can have 2 GPU's in a system. Whilst it won't increase performance in games or anything, the second GPU can be used for PhysX from the control panel. It doesn't add much now TBH, and it's game dependant, but it's usable. It's in the 'Configure Surround, PhysX' tab in NVCP.

Jun 15, 2024
I have z790 gaming x ax ddr 5 that can slot 2 GPU at the same time.if i have 4070 super and i insert gtx 1650 super to the system will my FPS increase?is it complicated to have dual GPU in one pc?

Hey there,

Yes, you can have 2 GPU's in a system. Whilst it won't increase performance in games or anything, the second GPU can be used for PhysX from the control panel. It doesn't add much now TBH, and it's game dependant, but it's usable. It's in the 'Configure Surround, PhysX' tab in NVCP.
WHy it dont perform better in games while i have dual GPU

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
WHy it dont perform better in games while i have dual GPU

The same reason that if it takes you three hours to drive to the beach alone, having two more people in the car with you doesn't make you get there in one hour. GPUs simply don't work together in this way.

For a long time, there were SLI/Crossfire options that *did* allow the same GPUs to work together, but it never really scaled that well, and neither the GPU manufacturers or the software developers had a real motivation to devote resources towards a very small niche rather than something more useful. DX12 did implement the ability to combine different GPUs, but nobody really ever used that feature, and it didn't spread beyond Ashes of the Singularity.

Unless you're the world's biggest fan of Ashes of the Singularity, there's no gaming purpose to having the 1650 installed. There may be other reasons, such as dedicating one GPU to encode a stream or particular kinds of workstation uses and so on. But it won't add any FPS to your games.

Jun 15, 2024
The same reason that if it takes you three hours to drive to the beach alone, having two more people in the car with you doesn't make you get there in one hour. GPUs simply don't work together in this way.

For a long time, there were SLI/Crossfire options that *did* allow the same GPUs to work together, but it never really scaled that well, and neither the GPU manufacturers or the software developers had a real motivation to devote resources towards a very small niche rather than something more useful. DX12 did implement the ability to combine different GPUs, but nobody really ever used that feature, and it didn't spread beyond Ashes of the Singularity.

Unless you're the world's biggest fan of Ashes of the Singularity, there's no gaming purpose to having the 1650 installed. There may be other reasons, such as dedicating one GPU to encode a stream or particular kinds of workstation uses and so on. But it won't add any FPS to your games.
SLI did happen in past time just saw 3090 SLI with another 3090 and it just work but it still cannot beat 4090 or maybe as u says it dont scale well .i think SLI should be with same GPu.i dont know if i put 1650 it can work together or not

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
SLI did happen in past time just saw 3090 SLI with another 3090 and it just work but it still cannot beat 4090 or maybe as u says it dont scale well .i think SLI should be with same GPu.i dont know if i put 1650 it can work together or not

While, you can still technically SLI 3090s, it just won't do much because Nvidia abandoned all driver support for SLI years ago, at the end of 2020, and it was effectively a dead technology for longer than that. As I noted, SLI/Crossfire *used to* be a thing.

In any case, theoretically SLIing two 3090s to play an old game from 2014 has nothing to do with your situation.

In your specific situation, your idea to use these two cards together for getting higher FPS in games is a complete dead end. You'll have as much luck trying to jumpstart your car with a sandwich.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

kanewolf

Titan
I have z790 gaming x ax ddr 5 that can slot 2 GPU at the same time.if i have 4070 super and i insert gtx 1650 super to the system will my FPS increase?is it complicated to have dual GPU in one pc?is my processor i7 14700F can handle 2 GPU?or bottleneck will happen?
Your FPS won't improve. You could run secondary monitor(s) with the 1650 but generally multiple GPUs is not worth the hassle.

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
As everyone else is saying.. Won't work as you intend it would. It depends game to game that supports SLI. However benefits may occur with rendering and video editing. But not much with a 1650, or if at all.

You can install the other GPU, it will work, but no it wont give you more FPS, Dual GPU's let alone mis match GPU's is a thing of the past really for games, Dual GPU's can still be leveraged in productivity programs or if 1 program favors an AMD card and another Nvidia, maybe but not worth it.

Good Luck though!

Jun 15, 2024
You can install the other GPU, it will work, but no it wont give you more FPS, Dual GPU's let alone mis match GPU's is a thing of the past really for games, Dual GPU's can still be leveraged in productivity programs or if 1 program favors an AMD card and another Nvidia, maybe but not worth it.

Good Luck though!
Buhh

Jun 15, 2024
While, you can still technically SLI 3090s, it just won't do much because Nvidia abandoned all driver support for SLI years ago, at the end of 2020, and it was effectively a dead technology for longer than that. As I noted, SLI/Crossfire *used to* be a thing.

In any case, theoretically SLIing two 3090s to play an old game from 2014 has nothing to do with your situation.

In your specific situation, your idea to use these two cards together for getting higher FPS in games is a complete dead end. You'll have as much luck trying to jumpstart your car with a sandwich.
Well i think its not match