[SOLVED] Dual Link DVI Cable suddenly stopped supporting higher refresh rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

elliott_

Reputable
Sep 28, 2016
Hi,
I was just transporting my PC when after plugging in my duel link DVI cable (that was always worked) into my Acer 144hz monior I was getting a error bouncing around the screen telling me "Incorrect Cable, please use the dual link dvi cable that came with your monitor".

I checked the monitor was working find by first using a spare hdmi cable and the display is good.
I then went via the nvidia control panel to check the resolution and display settings where it is set to 1920x1080 (native) at 144hz.
The second I change the refresh rate to 60hz the cable works find and the display functions as intended, however with any higher refresh rate, the monitors resolution tanks and the "incorrect cable...." error starts again.

When plugging everything back in a did accidently plug the DVI cable into the motherboard before powering the machine up, however I noticed and re plugged it into the GPU and started the machine up for the first time since moving when this all started to happen.
Is there something obviously wrong or is the cable bad? I'm sure it can't be anything driver related as the machine, monitor and was working fine less than 5hours ago prior to moving.

also I do not have a spare dvi cable to try with, if the census is i need a new cable to at least troubbleshoot then I shall purchase one.

Thank in advance

Solution
exact model of the acer monitor?
gpu?

I have just spent some time playing with it and i ended up bending a couple pins and the cable seems to be working fine. Apologies, I should have tried this first before posting here. The thread could be closed/deleted if thats ok.
Sorry

elliott_

Reputable
Sep 28, 2016
exact model of the acer monitor?
gpu?

I have just spent some time playing with it and i ended up bending a couple pins and the cable seems to be working fine. Apologies, I should have tried this first before posting here. The thread could be closed/deleted if thats ok.
Sorry

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.