Dual monitor setup but different inputs

acctingman

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014
My GTX 970 only has dual DVI, but I have an old HP monitor I wanted to hookup. I see my PC's on-board video has the old input (VGA).

Can I hook up the old HP to the on-board video and make this happen? Is there some tinkering I'll have to do in Display setup?

Thanks

Solution
hook the old monitor to the dvi with a dvi to VGA adapter. since it has a dedicated GPU, it wont have a signal from the onboard.
Yes you can probably use the onboard (or on the cpu die depeding on the exact system) GPU to run your VGA monitor. It will not be able to use any of the GPU power from the 970 but this would be fine for an extra monitor for non gaming uses. What is your exact system specs?

The only issue I have with that is he will have to spend money if he doesn't own a DVI to VGA adapter when he has a perfectly good VGA port on his motherboard already that can be used for a monitor quite easily in most cases. Granted the on board VGA port is not going to be good for gaming but for an extra monitor for non gaming use it will work fine.

Ryan_78

Honorable

ive seen some that have onboard video and a GPU and the onboard doesn't get any signal from the monitor or says "please connect the cable to your discrete graphics"

Most of the time that can be BIOS setting and or you just have to use it as a secondary display in windows. The majority of systems with an IGPU allow it to be used at the same time as a DGPU.

kanewolf

Titan

Not true. Some BIOS allow integrated video to be use at the same time. Again .. It depends on the CPU and motherboard.

It is PROBABLY true that the 970 graphics card has a DVI-I port and will support a passive DVI to VGA adapter. But that wasn't the originally asked question.