Question Dual Monitor Setup Issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 27, 2020
Hello,

After a few hours of reading and trial and error to what I thought would be a simple solution for an easy question, I have decided I still want to figure my problem out, but I cannot without help.

I have two identical monitors that I am plugging into my computer. When I first plugged in the first monitor, I tried using display port. DP was not being recognized and so I plugged in the hdmi cord, and switched the monitor back to DP.

When I plugged in my second monitor, the same issue arose. I had to again use hdmi. Except this time, instead of being able to use the monitor to switch to DP, it kept switching back to hdmi on its own.

I've tried a variety of different things to no avail.

I'm not familiar with contemporary computers but I do have some minor savvy from years past. I am thinking this is a problem heard of before, if not frequently, with a simple solution.

My one sentence question, then, with hopes for a concise and enumerated answer, is:

How do I get my second monitor to change back to DP input so that both monitors are DP, and neither HDMI?

Simply, whenever I use the monitor menu to switch the second monitor to DP, it goes black, and comes back reading HDMI.

Am I clearly describing this very simple issue?

Thank you in advance. Looking forward to figuring this out, and the reason why I currently cannot.

Jan 27, 2020
I have reached resolve thanks to you. I owe you much. I understand the issue, although not why.

Would you be able to tell me WHY I cannot connect a display cable to the motherboard, with a Ryzen CPU?

Thank you sir.

I have reached resolve thanks to you. I owe you much. I understand the issue, although not why.

Would you be able to tell me WHY I cannot connect a display cable to the motherboard, with a Ryzen CPU?

Thank you sir.
Some CPUs have integrated graphics (iGPU) like Intel i7 8700, AMD Ryzen 5 3400G. In that scenario you will be able to connect a monitor to the motherboard and use the iGPU. AMD might call them APU.
When you have a CPU without an iGPU like AMD Ryzen 7 2700X or Intel i7-9700KF, you won't be to get a display working when connected to the motherboard.

Your MSI Radeon RX 580 supports 2 or 3 monitors, so that's where your monitors should be connected.

I did not know you were connecting the monitor to the motherboard.
I should have asked.