Dual PSUs safety precautions?

Aztec7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Hi guys! I have a Lian Li D8000 case I just want to ask what are they safety measures I should take before doing this. I know that the safest thing to do is never use dual PSUs, but please help me.

I read alot of forums regarding this and the safest thing to do from what I learned is using
"Lian Li Dual Power Supply Adapter Cable ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Pin-Lian-Li-Dual-Power-Supply-Adapter-Cable-/182255819452 ). Than getting a live power from a 4 pin sata cable.

Just for clarification, when I have a
1. Dual CPU motherboard I should never put PSU 1 into 8-pin cpu 1 power and PSU 2 into 8-pin cpu 2 power. BUT I can put PSU 1 into 8-pin CPU 1&2 power.

2. Can I Mix the PSU load on GPU power?
PSU 1 - Powers CPU1&2, and GPU1
PSU 2 - Powers GPU2&3&4

3. Can I just plug the hard drives into PSU1&2, no problems in that?

Thank you!

Solution
:??: You can afford 40+ hard drives and up to 4 gpus, but not a 1500W psu? Sorry, but I don't understand that, and now I'm even more confused as to what the rig is for. If it's merely a large file server, it shouldn't even need fancy graphics - some sort of onboard graphics like many recent Intel chips (or AMD APUs) have should suffice for getting it set up (admittedly, I'm not familiar with how that might be affected by running them on dual-socket boards)

Also, I think you misunderstood the part about the gpus drawing power from both the motherboard and the pci-e power connectors. Plugging the gpus into the secondary psu is probably not such a good idea. However, with that many hard drives, running them off a secondary psu...
I came across this old thread recently when responding to another thread considering a dual psu:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2324977/dangers-dual-psu.html
afaik, the part about the gpus drawing power from both the pci-e power connectors and the motherboard still applies, so I don't think you can isolate them like you suggest. The hard drives should be possible to isolate to different psus, though.

Why do you feel the need for dual psus? There are psus like the Corsair AX1500i that should be sufficient to run 4 high-end video cards. I'm guessing you're making a mining rig (or maybe folding - do people still do that?), since 4 gpus is absurd for a gaming rig, xfire/sli doesn't scale that well past 2 gpus, and some cards don't even support more than 2-way.

Aztec7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010

Hi MauveCloud! Thanks for answering :) I'm just going to run 40+ hard drives (with some modding done with the case) plus dual cpu's, wattage supplied by the psu degrades over time, so im thinking why not two psu, I can't afford a 1500 psu. But the main reason is an unreasonable one It just looks cooler. :( I hope you understand..

So in short, I should just plug PSU 1 into the cpu power 1&2, and PSU 2 into gpu 1&2?

And do you think i'm fine with the lian li adapter? or there are better options? :D thank you!

:??: You can afford 40+ hard drives and up to 4 gpus, but not a 1500W psu? Sorry, but I don't understand that, and now I'm even more confused as to what the rig is for. If it's merely a large file server, it shouldn't even need fancy graphics - some sort of onboard graphics like many recent Intel chips (or AMD APUs) have should suffice for getting it set up (admittedly, I'm not familiar with how that might be affected by running them on dual-socket boards)

Also, I think you misunderstood the part about the gpus drawing power from both the motherboard and the pci-e power connectors. Plugging the gpus into the secondary psu is probably not such a good idea. However, with that many hard drives, running them off a secondary psu might work, provided you can get enough power connectors (I expect you'll need some adapter cables to add more, and some sata controller cards for sata data ports, which will limit how many expansion slots you have available for video cards)

Solution

Aztec7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010

I will go with your suggestion thank you :) I will use a 2nd psu to power all the peripherals only. I will thinking of using both of the psu in the future for something else like for gaming etc. But now my main concern is for holding files. Thank you for taking time on my question, its really bad if I just went on and plugging things that might cause a fire. Thank you! :) Now I know what to do.