Dual Pumps control with GRID V3

SHUNKZ

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Hi,

I am a bit of a noob when it comes to wiring.

For spec details - My current build log is at http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3668137/build-log-duncans-rgb-aussie.html

I currently have 2 x EKWB D5 PWM Water Pumps and the Grid V3+ Fan Controller. I was wondering how I connect the pumps up so they can be controlled? I beleive if we answer the below 3 questions it will solve my problem.

Question 1: Can the Grid V3+ control the PWM D5 Pumps as well as the fans (Obviously it will be on a different channel to the fans).
Question 2: Do I have to plug in both the molex and PWM cables when operating my water pumps or can I just use the PWM cables.
Question 3: Is the W_PUMP+ port on my mobo PWM controlled.

With the above 3 questions answered what option should I use.

Option 1:
-Connect 2 x PWM Cables (D5 Water Pump) to the W_PUMP+ port on my mother board using a Y-Splitter.
-Connect 2 x Molex Cables (D5 Water Pump) to the PSU.
-Control all fans to the Grid V3+

Option 2:
-Connect 2 x PWM Cables (D5 Water Pump) to the Grid V3+
-Control all fans and the 2 x D5 water pumps with the Grid V3+

Option 3:
One of the above 2 options without the Molex cables plugged in.

Solution
Two D5 pumps ? I can't think about something practical beside redundancy or two separate loops.

to your questions:
1. yes it can.
2. of course you have to plug both cables. The 4pin fan cable on the pump have 1 wire for PWM signal and one for returning RPM. The molex cable is actually providing power.
3. You can check in BIOS.

It's not important what option you use. Basically, the pumps should always run at constant speed providing about 1gpm flow.
If for whatever reason adjustment of the pumps speed is required, it is more convenient to have all controls in one place - either everything on MB or on Grid.

As a side note, you building beautiful, shinny and expensive system with very inefficient cooling.
1. rear rad is going to reuse...
Two D5 pumps ? I can't think about something practical beside redundancy or two separate loops.

to your questions:
1. yes it can.
2. of course you have to plug both cables. The 4pin fan cable on the pump have 1 wire for PWM signal and one for returning RPM. The molex cable is actually providing power.
3. You can check in BIOS.

It's not important what option you use. Basically, the pumps should always run at constant speed providing about 1gpm flow.
If for whatever reason adjustment of the pumps speed is required, it is more convenient to have all controls in one place - either everything on MB or on Grid.

As a side note, you building beautiful, shinny and expensive system with very inefficient cooling.
1. rear rad is going to reuse hot air from the front rad - significantly drops cooling efficiency
2. rear rad will be suffocated in that chamber - not enough airflow
3. rear rad is too thick for push configuration to be really effective, push/pull practically required to overcome airflow restriction of a thick rad.
4. not really enough rad surface for quiet operation of your system overclocked under serious load while maintaining sane fan's RPM.

Solution

SHUNKZ

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
-Overkill I know.

Ok so what I am taking from this is to use Option 2:
-Connect 2 x PWM Cables (D5 Water Pump) to the Grid V3+
-Control all fans and the 2 x D5 water pumps with the Grid V3+

Is it going to go spaz at me when I first start it up because no PWM cables are plugged into the mobo only usb 2.0 from the fan controller?

Just answering your side note.
1. rear rad is going to reuse hot air from the front rad - significantly drops cooling efficiency
-I dont really have an option on this unless I create a vaccum in the system pulling unfiltered air through.
2. rear rad will be suffocated in that chamber - not enough airflow
-I will monitor this with fan speeds.
3. rear rad is too thick for push configuration to be really effective, push/pull practically required to overcome airflow restriction of a thick rad.
-Rear rad is in push pull configuration, look a bit closer.
4. not really enough rad surface for quiet operation of your system overclocked under serious load while maintaining sane fan's RPM.
-Not sure what you mean

EYCVoGe.jpg

mPuqBAn.jpg

1 + 2 It'n not really feasible to compensate such airflow restrictions with fans speed. there is only single fan providing air for 3 fans of the same size. the issue is worsen by the narrow gap between the fans and that separation pane. it's only going to be worse with cables l Its not something that you can fix with this case. Just for fun, when the build is complete, you can check the temp difference with and without side panel.
3. my bad with pull/push :)
4. I was under impression you are going to use 2xGTX 1080 in SLI + 8700K. that's a lot of heat to remove.

SHUNKZ

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Ok, my pumps are barely moving now! When I unplug the PWM cables it goes full ball?

Are you 100% sure you can use pumps with the Grid 3+ fan controller?

It might have something to do with the splitter cable I used to plug it into the fan controller?

Any ideas?

SHUNKZ

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Splitter is the 2 x PWM cables from the 2 D5 Pumps into the Grid V3+.

I have now run the 2 x Pumps with the same splitter into the AIO_PUMP socket on the motherboard and its working fine.