Dual-screen YotaPhone to Ship Before Year's End

Status
Not open for further replies.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Yeah, that is awesome. Perfect for reading messages in the daylight. I hope this takes off and gets other thinking in this direction. Maybe even phones that have half an e-ink screen on the back that displays the time, how many notifications you have, missed calls, etc. A lot of cool things could come about this tech.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Yeah, not so great for privacy as it is always on.
How are you supposed to hold the phone without triggering a touch?
Yeah, really great idea not gimmicky at all. Doh!

presna

Honorable
May 17, 2012
so another extra screen to scratch and crack???? yaaay....

wouldn't a clam-shell design be better for a dual screen idea? the outer screen can be the energy saving/less informative/whatever function required.....

interesting idea but bad design....

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

Man you really lack imagination. The e-ink screen can be touch disabled whenever the main screen is on. There problem solved, no R&D job for you lol.

This is neat! I am not entirely sure I would pull the trigger on one, but I would be extremely interested in a phone with only a color e-ink or a mirisol display for daylight readability.

Having a screen on both sides of a phone... less appealing, but still at least a neat idea, and gets away from the black/silver/white brick with a screen.

... when is the pomegranate phone coming out? lol

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
"Man you really lack imagination. The e-ink screen can be touch disabled whenever the main screen is on. There problem solved, no R&D job for you lol.

Wow, 'LOL' talk about no imagination.

Even if your solution is employed, you ignore the more important privacy issue remains.

Plus as suggested above a clamshell design would be a better solution, by far.
Especially if the outer screen folded all the way around back. There problem really solved.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
specs on this looked great when previewed now they are dated, i hope they release some with higher specs like a snapdragon 800 or other fast quad core. good ram thogh and the screens will help when wanting to save battery though i have been wondering why nobody does a plain e ink only phone, samsung bought that company with color e ink displays they should do something with it

TheTabletAddict

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I wonder how the phone operates while talking on the handset. I already have trouble with my face sometimes accidentally ending the call, so I can only imagine a dual screen and my hand getting in the way of hitting buttons and ending calls. Maybe the screen goes black when on a call, like some smartphones today. I don't see an immediate need for dual screens, but they get an A for effort and creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.