Dual Toshiba 3TB not showing in bios

cnorman

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
Hello there, after searching the forums for over an hour I found many similar questions but no useful answers so hopefully in the months and years since those articles were written new info has arose.

I just finished building my new PC after a long time accruing parts. (Almost 2 years)

While configuring the BIOS I noticed that my 2 Toshiba 3TB HDD which are factory new do not show up in bios. There is no OS installed yet but in all my searching and experience if they don't show in BIOS it doesn't matter anyway. Drives are both DT01ACA300.

I have an NVME SSD on the board as well as a Samsung SSD on SATA, both of them show up fine.

Onto the troubleshooting:
On my ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 mobo I have 8 SATA3 ports and 2 NVME slots. The one I have in use, M2_1 disables SATA 0&1, no drives are plugged into those.

I can move the SATA SSD to any SATA port prior and after trying the HDD on it and it will still be detected and have no errors.

Regardless of which SATA port I try the HDDs do not show up even when I try only 1 at a time and without any other SATA plugged in.

I have multiple SATA 3 cables from multiple machines over the years and have tried 3 of them to no change.

I have swapped the power for the one powering the SSD which I knew to be working and used the one from the HDD on the SSD and no change.

The BIOS does not let me set all drives to IDE configuration but does let 2 of the SATA ports be set to IDE, I have tried this and ensured the drive (testing one at a time by this point) was plugged into the relevant SATA port, no change.

Voltages for RAM and CPU both stock standard and in its untouched OC profile don't effect their detection.

The drives have a manufacture date circa 2016 (though I only got them mid 2017) where as the MOBO was only designed within the last 8 months. I have not checked for a new bios version but in all previous drive detection posts an update did nothing to fix it.

Only thing I don't know is if it makes noise or vibrates, the new machine is apparently as loud as an A380 at liftoff so I can't hear anything but the hairdryer of a case even at point blank and I can't feel a thing.

Does anyone know anything that might work to get them recognized?
Can anyone also run the numbers of 2 new drives in unbroken static bags and padded bags over that both straight from factory new both being DOA from a major manufacturer?

I am wondering if I won the bad luck lottery as to my mind there must be more going on.

Thanks a lot!

Unless you are doing anything daft, like not having power on the sata power cables that you are using, it sounds like you've done everything I would do and they are dead.

During this you have the CPU, cooler and RAM installed, and all appropriate power cables going to the mobo?

Odds are low, very low, that you have two dead drives, which leads to storage conditions.

This is one of the reasons to advise buying enough stuff at once to get a working system. Be ready to RMA those drives.

cnorman

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
Anyone else had experience with jumper settings or doing anything to make drives appear. There was many other posts of similar issues happening, has anyone overcome this?

Yes all other hardware components are in place and working.