Duke Nukem Developer 3D Realms Is Back In Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

MumblinBerk

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
Duke. Many found memories there. Even before the "Monster 3D" accelerators came out, it was just plain old fun. I liked all the "Build" engine games. John St. John's voice acting brought some absurd attitude to the characters. Lo Wang was a riot: Shadow Warrior "Who Want-a Some Wang?" But then,... I waited so long for DNF.... I sank into a deep pit of depression from which I never quite emerged..... (But I played a lot of CounterStrike while I was waiting)

-Berk

a1r

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
@agnickolov

What you failed to notice is... the Wolfenstein game was distributed by Apogee Software (DOS version) which is AKA 3D Realms.

What YOU fail to notice is that agnickolov is still correct. Wolfenstein 3D was developed by id software. The article says it was DEVELOPED by 3D Realms, and it most certainly wasn't. Developed is not the same thing as published or distributed.

As for Duke Nukem, we'll probably another half baked money grab of a horrid game that didn't deserve the title of Duke Nukem is released in a slap dash push worthy of EA or Ubisoft.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
3D realms wasn't just a developer, it was also a publisher in their earlier years, as Apogee. Most of the games in the pack where published by them, rather than developed.

Musaab

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
welcom back 3D Realms. please we don't want another Duke Nukem: eternal disaster AKA Duke Nukem Forever the original game was fun , a lot of fun it has it's place with great games like hexen hertic

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
$19.99 is a small price to pay to support their venture.
I paid up and DLed the Anthology 510 MB file with the launcher all run great with the included DOSBOX.
You can DL the games individually also each comes with DOSBOX and runs fine on my Win 8 system.
There is a huge 850 MB DL of Soundtrack in FLAC MP3 and WAV24bit formats.

I think a better investment that some kickstarters of late.

Evolution2001

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I haven't delved into the history (re: rise & fall) of 3DRealms, but if most of the original/core people are back, then what's to think that the same mistakes won't be made that led to their demise the first time around?
Hopefully they keep in mind a quote from Albert Einstein (IIRC),
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."

Musaab

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
welcom back 3D Realms. please we don't want another Duke Nukem: eternal disaster AKA Duke Nukem Forever the original game was fun , a lot of fun it has it's place with great games like hexen hertic

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Really? Releasing a bunch of horribly outdated games in the 80's and 90's for $40. I wouldn't pay $1. In fact, you'd have to pay me money to play those games again. The original fans have all moved on to bigger and better things. Nostalgia doesn't cut it anymore. Angry Birds and other android games have better graphics. These guys just need to either retire or start making android games since console/pc games take too much work just like their buddy John Romero whose last masterpiece was Daikatana. I think he makes games for pocket calculators now and living out of a dumpster.

Status
Not open for further replies.