Question Dumb ?'s about windows activation, max displays and gpu

smoothcannibal

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I just built a new system a few days ago and if i get the monitors I am going to buy a new GPU (rx 590 or 1060) Goal is a 4 monitor setup. 3 1080 monitors for productivity not eyefinity but maybe for some racing games older stuff that supports for fun, but not necessary. larger older hdmi tv that's lcd and still has a low response rate. i'm using a 32 inch 1080 tv that has a 5ms response rate already for gaming and it's good and rocks but want a bigger one. I can do my own research on that though

#1 new system
R7 2700 cpu
16gb ddr4 ram
ROG strix X450 MOBO

#2 Old system
fx6350
12gb ddr3 ram
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Mobo

I'll use the same 240ssd with windows, the same psu and gpu. Link underneath is the exact gpu I've been using.
http://www.hisdigital.com/us/product2-801.shtml

Found a guy that has 3 22 inch monitors new in the box. It seems he moves product and not a fellow geek i may have to bring a system so I can test them. I don't want to completely move my new system with tempered glass panels. I have my old system that i can throw my psu and gpu in however my new system has windows 10 pro. My old fx system has windows 10 home and will have to use the same ssd that technically has windows 10 pro

I know when you change too much of a system it undos the activation on windows and wants a new key. I got my pro off of ebay for a few bucks. curious if I stick my 10 pro (now) ssd in the system validated for 10 home and then go back to my new system that's 10 pro if it's going to undo my validation. My HDD that has 10 home is corrupted. files are okay but it won't repair the windows install and I don't have the space without careful thought to not lose all my music, movies and photos. both version are under the same account if that matters.

My current card only says 4 displays on the eyefinity towards the bottom of the page on the link above. It's a HIS R9280 ICEQ blower style. Plugs on the back are a DVI, HDMI, and two mini DP. I know to get active adaptors but wondering If i did want 4 monitors if this card will still support it? Might be a month til I get a new card which I do know will support 4 or 5 at least monitors.

USAFRet

Titan
You built a whole new system?
That needs a whole new OS install, not just shoving the drive in. No matter which license or OS version is on it.

All your music/video/etc? All that absolutely needs to be off on some other drive and offline during this process.

Your Win 10 Pro license cannot activate a Win 10 Home install, or vice versa.
Doesn't work like that, no matter where this license came from.

smoothcannibal

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
That's pushing a lot of pixels for those cards. If you have changed MoBo and a few other components you might struggle getting activated again, you may have to call instead of auto activation on line.

right but I've hooked up the old system on 4k in the living room with dirt 3 and older stuff and without AA and everything else on max i still get 60fps. reverse it and max on everything including AA and It's the same. Can't tell the difference.

smoothcannibal

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
You built a whole new system?
That needs a whole new OS install, not just shoving the drive in. No matter which license or OS version is on it.

All your music/video/etc? All that absolutely needs to be off on some other drive and offline during this process.

Your Win 10 Pro license cannot activate a Win 10 Home install, or vice versa.
Doesn't work like that, no matter where this license came from.
I already installed an operating system. I'm aware of all of that. windows isn't really chipset dependent like it used to be. it will still boot with no problems. I'm concerened it will undo my validation going back and fourth between 2 systems.

USAFRet

Titan
I already installed an operating system. I'm aware of all of that. windows isn't really chipset dependent like it used to be. it will still boot with no problems. I'm concerened it will undo my validation going back and fourth between 2 systems.
Win 10 is better than previous version, but by no means 100%.

Not sure what you mean with "going back and fourth between 2 systems".
The unknown provenance of your fleabay license puts everything in doubt.

smoothcannibal

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Never mind I am just going to wing it and do what I want. I'll just report back if the conclusions are different than my assumptions. 20+ year posting on forums I can't recall an honest actual answer to any question I've ever had. I can just pay another 4 dollars for another Win10 key. It's honestly easier than trying to wonder if a hard drive swap back and fourth will undo a validation.

USAFRet

Titan
Never mind I am just going to wing it and do what I want. I'll just report back if the conclusions are different than my assumptions. 20+ year posting on forums I can't recall an honest actual answer to any question I've ever had. I can just pay another 4 dollars for another Win10 key. It's honestly easier than trying to wonder if a hard drive swap back and fourth will undo a validation.
Yes, try it.
If it works, great. If it fails, try something else.

Upon seeing new hardware, it will almost certainly become Unactivated. Whether it allows you to activate it again is unknown.