[SOLVED] Dumbest Q of year - ISO caddy for 2.5" SATA SSD for Dell Optiplexes 7010 and 7090

glnz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 Mini-Tower for myself and will soon install a Dell Optiplex 7090 Tower for my wife's mini-office. I want to install second drives for files and backups in each, to be SATA SSDs, but I am having a hard time finding the right cheap blue plastic caddy that natively takes a 2.5" SATA SSD and then slides right into the metal rack inside the Optiplex. My Amazon searches are all over the place, and nothing looks correct.

Please suggest links to the perfect cheap blue plastic caddy for this, for each model Optiplex. And -- now I'm cheating -- I'm also getting her a Dell Precision 3660 Tower. Same request.

Do I win the prize for dumbest Q of the year? Cheers!

glnz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
rgd1101 - My old 7010 definitely has bays for 3.5" HDD. Now that you ask, I'm not sure about the 7090 or Precision 3660 that will soon be delivered, but I imagine the same

Maybe I'm doing it wrong or I'm just too lazy, but I can't find the correct cheap blue plastic caddy that will natively take a 2.5" SATA SSD (without some kind of extra converter piece that also doesn't look right) and slide right into those bay slots for 3.5" HDDs.

Does anything look right to you? Please send link.

glnz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
USAFRet - thanks again!

That piece then goes into a cheap blue plastic caddy for a 3.5" HDD, yes?

But aren't there any cheap blue plastic caddies that don't need this extra piece and just natively take a 2.5" SSD and then slide into the bay slot for a 3.5" HDD?

USAFRet

Titan
USAFRet - thanks again!

That piece then goes into a cheap blue plastic caddy for a 3.5" HDD, yes?

But aren't there any cheap blue plastic caddies that don't need this extra piece and just natively take a 2.5" SSD and then slide into the bay slot for a 3.5" HDD?
Unknown about the specifics for your Dell, but that adapter is the exact shape/size of a 3.5" drive.
So however a 3.5" HDD connects...so does this.

glnz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
egda23 - thanks.

So, it looks like there just ISNT a blue plastic caddy of my dreams.

I like the cheap blue plastic caddies because their arms extend out from the bay and can be pinched, letting them slide in and out of the bay easily, and then clicking into place when I release the pinch. I was hoping to find a model (for a 3.5" bay) that simply takes a 2.5" drive without the Sabrent converter.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, tools to mount in specific bays are going to be proprietary. And they're not even going to be the same among all cases made by a single company. You see 2.5"-3.5" adapters because those are standard form factors, while bays for an individual Dell case will not be. So if there are any trays available, they'd almost certainly need to be from Dell.

egda23 - thanks.

So, it looks like there just ISNT a blue plastic caddy of my dreams.

I like the cheap blue plastic caddies because their arms extend out from the bay and can be pinched, letting them slide in and out of the bay easily, and then clicking into place when I release the pinch. I was hoping to find a model (for a 3.5" bay) that simply takes a 2.5" drive without the Sabrent converter.
Maybe.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&linkId=c175e770bc4d73b2bc771ded3020100f&th=1

Tool less quick in/out for 2.5 disk.

glnz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Bob B - Your suggestion is appreciated and interesting, but DSzymborski is correct.
Having looked again, I don't think Dell has ever made one of those cheap blue plastic caddies that takes a 2.5" SSD natively and then slides in and out of the 3.5" rack.
Even worse, I can't find the 3.5" cheap blue plastic caddy for the Opti 7090 ! Does it even exist?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Bob B - Your suggestion is appreciated and interesting, but DSzymborski is correct.
Having looked again, I don't think Dell has ever made one of those cheap blue plastic caddies that takes a 2.5" SSD natively and then slides in and out of the 3.5" rack.
Even worse, I can't find the 3.5" cheap blue plastic caddy for the Opti 7090 ! Does it even exist?

It exists, but proprietary parts like this frequently aren't available to just purchase.