'Dungeons & Dragons' Table Top Gaming In Virtual Reality? Thank AltspaceVR And Wizards Of The Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chester Rico

Honorable
May 15, 2013
*Or* I can play actual D&D with my friends while having a couple of beers?

Also, you can actually play most RPGs remotely pretty well with various tools, I just don't know who exactly this is for.

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

Also, you can actually play most RPGs remotely pretty well with various tools, I just don't know who exactly this is for.

The advancement of technology. The truth is, as we all know the future of tech if VR, and as nice as d20.net is it's not intuitive or user friendly, and as for the "with friends and having a couple of beers" Part of being an adult usually involves moving away from friends to well be an adult. Even if they are VR avi's, being able to sit at a table with your old DnD buddies with a real board, and figures, with the books open rocking out like old school no matter where in the world you all are sounds like a huge advancement to me.

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

The advancement of technology. The truth is, as we all know the future of tech if VR, and as nice as d20.net is it's not intuitive or user friendly, and as for the "with friends and having a couple of beers" Part of being an adult usually involves moving away from friends to well be an adult. Even if they are VR avi's, being able to sit at a table with your old DnD buddies with a real board, and figures, with the books open rocking out like old school no matter where in the world you all are sounds like a huge advancement to me.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
MapTool works pretty well, or a webcam for a remote buddy, but I see this helping for people without a collection of minis and map tiles. There's something to be said for a virtual 3D map for your tokens. I just don't see myself spending 6 hours in a VR headset to play a tabletop game. And how would I, as the DM, properly emote and act out NPCs when my avatar is a featureless gray stand in?

pdegan2814

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
While it's a nifty idea, if I want to try and play D&D online with a group I'd rather do so in a way that lets me see everyone's face, either through a system like Roll20 or a simple group video call via Skype or Google Hangouts. The social component of D&D is a big part of what makes it so fun, after all. Plus, webcams and microphones are a lot cheaper than VR interfaces :)

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

You are currently inside a box, you need to think outside of it. real time lip syncing is coming very very far, just audio if not a camera on your face, you'll easily be able to set your avi to the character you are rping as. Tada something you were worried about just turned around to something even better than rl.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
For some reason I was expecting the virtualization to be of the game, into the game environment. You know, you get together with your friends and then VR into a version of the game world. Why would you want to take a away the in-person socialization? That's at least half the point of playing D&D in the first place!

Status
Not open for further replies.