News Duo Arrested for Installing Crypto Mining Software on Department Store Computers

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
Pretty bad that a major retailer gives full admin rights to employees and customers apparently. I worked for a major department store and you would have never been able to install anything or access any Windows functions from the store register. If these PC's are that wide open I would definitely not shop there.

They should have gone for the credit card numbers instead. These bozos probably made 5 cents a month from a CPU based miner.

Brian28

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Pretty bad that a major retailer gives full admin rights to employees and customers apparently. I worked for a major department store and you would have never been able to install anything or access any Windows functions from the store register. If these PC's are that wide open I would definitely not shop there.

They should have gone for the credit card numbers instead. These bozos probably made 5 cents a month from a CPU based miner.

These are the display models, not the registers. Customers expect to "play" with them a bit, though they still should be locked down, it's not a direct risk to the private sales data or credit cards.