[SOLVED] Duplicate file finder needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albie2351

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015
I am looking for software with which I can get rid of the many duplicates folders and files which I know are on my PC before installing a new PC to replace an older PC. In particular I wish to work in stages initially selectively removing duplicate folders. I wish to make individual decisions as to which to remove and keep.

I have looked at several programmes but so far have not found one which meets these conditions, I do recall using one many years ago in the days of Windows 98 but have googled in vain. Please does anyone know of a suitable programme preferably free but willing to pay but must have free trial in order to check/

Thanks Albie

Solution
i use windows built in search for such things. i start with a search for a file type such as *.mp3 to see what is around the drives.

a quick sort of the results by name shows me duplicates which i can see the path or where it is stored. this gets me to those dupe folders pretty easily. then i can compare them and delete the un-needed one. i don't personally trust those other apps to not start deleting crap i may want to keep. :)

might be a touch paranoid but i can find the dupes through basic search and make my own decisions of what to keep and what to remove. you can search for file types such as video, pics, audio and so on. same idea with sorted results by name and locating dupe folders and files that way.

have fun
This particular one seem to get many thumb-up's

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i use windows built in search for such things. i start with a search for a file type such as *.mp3 to see what is around the drives.

a quick sort of the results by name shows me duplicates which i can see the path or where it is stored. this gets me to those dupe folders pretty easily. then i can compare them and delete the un-needed one. i don't personally trust those other apps to not start deleting crap i may want to keep. :)

might be a touch paranoid but i can find the dupes through basic search and make my own decisions of what to keep and what to remove. you can search for file types such as video, pics, audio and so on. same idea with sorted results by name and locating dupe folders and files that way.

have fun

Solution

Albie2351

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015

have fun
Many thanks for that it sounds a great idea to me

Status
Not open for further replies.