[SOLVED] Duplicating displays of different resolutions and refresh rates

TheMemeMachine

Reputable
May 27, 2017
Hello everyone,
I am trying to make a setup where i have my main gaming monitor and a tv on the side where I would like to watch movies and im having problems with duplication
I have a 1080Ti, my monitor is an AOC AG271QX 1440p 144hz and is connected via displayport, and I have a 1080p 60hz TV connected via HDMI
The problem Im having is this:
The AOC is set as my main monitor, and when I try do duplicate the displays in windows settings, it does duplicate the image, but sets the refresh rate to 60Hz. I would like to keep it at 1440p 144hz and still have the TV on its maximum 1080p 60hz. I have tried a few times and can't get it to work no matter what, and one time even the resolution of my AOC was set to 1080p for some reason.
Is this even possible? Does anyone know a solution for this?

Solution
So, you need to do both. "Set it and forget it" is not an option for what you want to do. Also, you will be running the lower of the two refresh rates on duplication. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is.
Why would you want to duplicate if you are using each monitor for different things. Duplicating puts the SAME thing on both monitors, so if you are gaming on one you are gaming on both, with the same thing on both displays. Extended allows you to have different things going on on each display. So you can game on one while the other is used as your desktop, or watching movies, or running your browser, or whatever ELSE that is NOT gaming you wish to be doing simultaneously.

Perhaps I simply don't understand WHAT it is you are actually trying to accomplish by duplicating and further clarification from you would help with that.

TheMemeMachine

Reputable
May 27, 2017
Why would you want to duplicate if you are using each monitor for different things. Duplicating puts the SAME thing on both monitors, so if you are gaming on one you are gaming on both, with the same thing on both displays. Extended allows you to have different things going on on each display. So you can game on one while the other is used as your desktop, or watching movies, or running your browser, or whatever ELSE that is NOT gaming you wish to be doing simultaneously.

Perhaps I simply don't understand WHAT it is you are actually trying to accomplish by duplicating and further clarification from you would help with that.

Sure, here is an example. My friend comes over and we want to play a game where he uses a controller and looks at the TV while I use the keyboard and look at my monitor (the tv is not directly next to my monitor, its about 2 feet away), and we need to be looking a the same image, and in this case I would like to (if possible retain the full resolution and refresh rate of the monitor). I want to duplicate because thats easier here than both of us looking at the same monitor/tv

Since I dont mind duplicated displays when whatching movies I want to "set and forget" duplication