During bootup

During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?

The only autoexec file that should run is Autoexec.bat. What makes you
think that some other autoexec. is running?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?

"b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?

1. During bootup, the system reads the first AUTOEXEC
file encountered in the filepath. This is usually
c:\windows\autoexec.bat

2. Standard Win98 requires no AUTOEXEC file.
Try booting without it and without CONFIG.SYS
(rename both) and see if that solves your problem.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

During a _normal_ boot, I accidentally discovered that a different autoexec
file( a backup autoexec I think) was being read.
"Don Phillipson" wrote:

> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?
>
> 1. During bootup, the system reads the first AUTOEXEC
> file encountered in the filepath. This is usually
> c:\windows\autoexec.bat
>
> 2. Standard Win98 requires no AUTOEXEC file.
> Try booting without it and without CONFIG.SYS
> (rename both) and see if that solves your problem.
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

More detail on how you discovered this would be helpful, what you saw,
etc.

A list of all "autoexec" files on your machine would also help.

--

> During a _normal_ boot, I accidentally discovered that a different
> autoexec
> file( a backup autoexec I think) was being read.
> "Don Phillipson" wrote:
>
>> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?
>>
>> 1. During bootup, the system reads the first AUTOEXEC
>> file encountered in the filepath. This is usually
>> c:\windows\autoexec.bat
>>
>> 2. Standard Win98 requires no AUTOEXEC file.
>> Try booting without it and without CONFIG.SYS
>> (rename both) and see if that solves your problem.
>>
>> --
>> Don Phillipson
>> Carlsbad Springs
>> (Ottawa, Canada)

You need to supply a lot more detailed information regarding exactly what "autoexec"
files you have and which is being read. Additionally, all files have a file
extension...text files use .txt, Word documents use .doc, and so forth. A batch
file uses the .bat extension. Click Start> Settings> Folder Options> View tab, set
the Hidden Files setting to "Show All Files", and uncheck the box for "Hide file
extensions for known files types", then click OK. This will allow you to see, and
report back, with what file extensions these "autoexec" files have.
See here:
http://home.mindspring.com/~glee29/images/f-opt98.jpg
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> During a _normal_ boot, I accidentally discovered that a different autoexec
> file( a backup autoexec I think) was being read.
> "Don Phillipson" wrote:
>
> > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?
> >
> > 1. During bootup, the system reads the first AUTOEXEC
> > file encountered in the filepath. This is usually
> > c:\windows\autoexec.bat
> >
> > 2. Standard Win98 requires no AUTOEXEC file.
> > Try booting without it and without CONFIG.SYS
> > (rename both) and see if that solves your problem.
> >
> > --
> > Don Phillipson
> > Carlsbad Springs
> > (Ottawa, Canada)

"b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A184CDE-66FD-40AB-A41F-1A87C44D23F0@microsoft.com...
> During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?

Please repost with more information, including why you think a
different file is being processed.

Ben

During bootup, the autoexec.tsh file is read, not the Autoexec.bat.
______________________________________
"Ben Myers" wrote:

> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A184CDE-66FD-40AB-A41F-1A87C44D23F0@microsoft.com...
> > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?
>
> Please repost with more information, including why you think a
> different file is being processed.
>
> Ben

Autoexec.bat is renamed to Autoexec.tsh by Windows when you uncheck
Autoexec.bat in "START, Run, MSConfig, General tab". In that case, there
is no Autoexec.bat to run at boot-- & neither will Autoexec.tsh be run.
That was the purpose of renaming it.

When it is checked again, the .tsh will become a .bat again after a
reboot. I think, though, every individual line inside Autoexec.bat that
may have been unchecked in Autoexec.bat will be checked now. So, watch
that!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| During bootup, the autoexec.tsh file is read, not the Autoexec.bat.
| ______________________________________
| "Ben Myers" wrote:
|
| > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?
| >
| > Please repost with more information, including why you think a
| > different file is being processed.
| >
| > Ben

Correction: When you uncheck Autoexec.bat in MSCONFIG, Autoexec.bat is
renamed to Autoexec.tsh, but a *new* Autoexec.bat is created containing
nothing but comments that explain about Autoexec.tsh being the backup. There
*is* an Autoexec.bat, but it's toothless.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Autoexec.bat is renamed to Autoexec.tsh by Windows when you uncheck
> Autoexec.bat in "START, Run, MSConfig, General tab". In that case, there
> is no Autoexec.bat to run at boot-- & neither will Autoexec.tsh be run.
> That was the purpose of renaming it.
>
> When it is checked again, the .tsh will become a .bat again after a
> reboot. I think, though, every individual line inside Autoexec.bat that
> may have been unchecked in Autoexec.bat will be checked now. So, watch
> that!
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | During bootup, the autoexec.tsh file is read, not the Autoexec.bat.
> | ______________________________________
> | "Ben Myers" wrote:
> |
> | > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | >
> | > Please repost with more information, including why you think a
> | > different file is being processed.
> | >
> | > Ben

Autoexec.tsh is a backup file created by msconfig when the
autoexec.bat file is disabled. If you use msconfig to modify
autoexec.bat, I suggest you leave this file in place. If not,
it can be renamed or deleted.

Ben

"b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FADB56EF-EE38-4C48-B338-93D375E3F3F6@microsoft.com...
> During bootup, the autoexec.tsh file is read, not the Autoexec.bat.
> ______________________________________
> "Ben Myers" wrote:
>
> > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A184CDE-66FD-40AB-A41F-1A87C44D23F0@microsoft.com...
> > > During bootup, the wrong autoexec file is read. Why?
> >
> > Please repost with more information, including why you think a
> > different file is being processed.
> >
> > Ben

Thanks. Yes, perhaps I did see that once for one of the files. Yes, it's
a reminder of what one has done. I will remember this on the day I make
a Master Post about it! Thanks.

--
| Correction: When you uncheck Autoexec.bat in MSCONFIG, Autoexec.bat is
| renamed to Autoexec.tsh, but a *new* Autoexec.bat is created
containing
| nothing but comments that explain about Autoexec.tsh being the backup.
There
| *is* an Autoexec.bat, but it's toothless.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User

| > Autoexec.bat is renamed to Autoexec.tsh by Windows when you uncheck
| > Autoexec.bat in "START, Run, MSConfig, General tab". In that case,
there
| > is no Autoexec.bat to run at boot-- & neither will Autoexec.tsh be
run.
| > That was the purpose of renaming it.
| >
| > When it is checked again, the .tsh will become a .bat again after a
| > reboot. I think, though, every individual line inside Autoexec.bat
that
| > may have been unchecked in Autoexec.bat will be checked now. So,
watch
| > that!
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | During bootup, the autoexec.tsh file is read, not the
Autoexec.bat.
| > | ______________________________________
| > | "Ben Myers" wrote:
| > |
> [...]

Oh....joy...

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Thanks. Yes, perhaps I did see that once for one of the files. Yes, it's
> a reminder of what one has done. I will remember this on the day I make
> a Master Post about it! Thanks.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | Correction: When you uncheck Autoexec.bat in MSCONFIG, Autoexec.bat is
> | renamed to Autoexec.tsh, but a *new* Autoexec.bat is created
> containing
> | nothing but comments that explain about Autoexec.tsh being the backup.
> There
> | *is* an Autoexec.bat, but it's toothless.
> |
> | --
> | Gary S. Terhune
> | MS-MVP Shell/User
> |
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > Autoexec.bat is renamed to Autoexec.tsh by Windows when you uncheck
> | > Autoexec.bat in "START, Run, MSConfig, General tab". In that case,
> there
> | > is no Autoexec.bat to run at boot-- & neither will Autoexec.tsh be
> run.
> | > That was the purpose of renaming it.
> | >
> | > When it is checked again, the .tsh will become a .bat again after a
> | > reboot. I think, though, every individual line inside Autoexec.bat
> that
> | > may have been unchecked in Autoexec.bat will be checked now. So,
> watch
> | > that!
> | >

> | > --
> | > Thanks or Good Luck,
> | > There may be humor in this post, and,
> | > Naturally, you will not sue,
> | > should things get worse after this,
> | > PCR
> | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | > "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Autoexec.bat.
> | > |

Anyhow, it may not be safe to remain in this thread! b11_ seems to have
huge problems, judging from other threads he's begun! OK, bye!

--
| Oh....joy...
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User

| > Thanks. Yes, perhaps I did see that once for one of the files. Yes,
it's
| > a reminder of what one has done. I will remember this on the day I
make
| > a Master Post about it! Thanks.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > | Correction: When you uncheck Autoexec.bat in MSCONFIG,
Autoexec.bat is
| > | renamed to Autoexec.tsh, but a *new* Autoexec.bat is created
| > containing
| > | nothing but comments that explain about Autoexec.tsh being the
backup.
| > There
| > | *is* an Autoexec.bat, but it's toothless.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Gary S. Terhune
| > | MS-MVP Shell/User
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > there
| > run.

Autoexec.bat
| > that
| > watch

| > Autoexec.bat.
| > | > |
> [...]
| > |
| > |

Yeah, I gave up on trying to figure that one out. I can't get a true picture
of what's going on.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Anyhow, it may not be safe to remain in this thread! b11_ seems to have
> huge problems, judging from other threads he's begun! OK, bye!

I think he's trying to multiboot with BIOS settings, but I know little
of it. He's sees the right partition try to boot but ends up in the
wrong one. Better clear out of this thread & all of the others! Run!

--
| Yeah, I gave up on trying to figure that one out. I can't get a true
picture
| of what's going on.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User

| > Anyhow, it may not be safe to remain in this thread! b11_ seems to
have
| > huge problems, judging from other threads he's begun! OK, bye!
| >

| > --

I said that the correct drive(physical drive 3) runs then physical drive 1
runs.

What would cause the drive I selected to boot(physical drive 3) to run then
physical drive 1 to run which results in a messed-up bootup?

"PCR" wrote:

> I think he's trying to multiboot with BIOS settings, but I know little
> of it. He's sees the right partition try to boot but ends up in the
> wrong one. Better clear out of this thread & all of the others! Run!
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | Yeah, I gave up on trying to figure that one out. I can't get a true
> picture
> | of what's going on.
> |
> | --
> | Gary S. Terhune
> | MS-MVP Shell/User
> |
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > Anyhow, it may not be safe to remain in this thread! b11_ seems to
> have
> | > huge problems, judging from other threads he's begun! OK, bye!
> | >

> | > --

Physical drive 3 may not be bootable. I suggest you remove it and replace
it with a known good bootable drive and see if the computer boots from it.

Ben

"b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6325E6E9-27DF-41D1-924E-E83DBC0BB706@microsoft.com...
> I said that the correct drive(physical drive 3) runs then physical drive 1
> runs.
>
> What would cause the drive I selected to boot(physical drive 3) to run then
> physical drive 1 to run which results in a messed-up bootup?
>
> "PCR" wrote:
>
> > I think he's trying to multiboot with BIOS settings, but I know little
> > of it. He's sees the right partition try to boot but ends up in the
> > wrong one. Better clear out of this thread & all of the others! Run!
> >

> > --
> > Thanks or Good Luck,
> > There may be humor in this post, and,
> > Naturally, you will not sue,
> > should things get worse after this,
> > PCR
> > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > | Yeah, I gave up on trying to figure that one out. I can't get a true
> > picture
> > | of what's going on.
> > |
> > | --
> > | Gary S. Terhune
> > | MS-MVP Shell/User
> > |
> > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> > have

It could be certain important system files are kept on drive 1 & must
run although you boot drive 3, but I'm sorry I really have no experience
with multi-booting. Good luck with it, b11_.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I said that the correct drive(physical drive 3) runs then physical
drive 1
| runs.
|
| What would cause the drive I selected to boot(physical drive 3) to run
then
| physical drive 1 to run which results in a messed-up bootup?
| _____________________________________________________
|
| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > I think he's trying to multiboot with BIOS settings, but I know
little
| > of it. He's sees the right partition try to boot but ends up in the
| > wrong one. Better clear out of this thread & all of the others! Run!
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > | Yeah, I gave up on trying to figure that one out. I can't get a
true
| > picture
| > | of what's going on.
| > |