[SOLVED] DVD burner or BD burner?

JediMa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
My old LG dvd burner (bd reader and dvd writer) is starting to fail a bit too often so I'm planning to buy a replacemente. I'm not sure for my use (store movies and tv series and data backup) if i should stick to a cheap DVD burner like Asus DRW-24D5MT 17 euro or consider a BD burner like LG WH14NS40 a 67 euro , considering the price of decent bd to burn of good quality (not LHT crap)

thank you

Solution
Both suggested drives read blu-rays so the difference is whether you need to burn them. Writeable blu-ray discs are still a bit more expensive than DVD-RW, although they do store considerably more data. For most the market has moved away from discs to flash, cloud and external drives as backup storage (witness the many new cases sold without slots or openings to support disc drives); disc backup is still doable but availability may decrease with the shift away from optical media.

As I'd see it the choice is like this: it seems you haven't burned blu rays yet so it's just a matter of whether upgrading to blank blu-ray backups is worth the extra cost. If not, there's no reason to look for a Bly-ray burner
Both suggested drives read blu-rays so the difference is whether you need to burn them. Writeable blu-ray discs are still a bit more expensive than DVD-RW, although they do store considerably more data. For most the market has moved away from discs to flash, cloud and external drives as backup storage (witness the many new cases sold without slots or openings to support disc drives); disc backup is still doable but availability may decrease with the shift away from optical media.

As I'd see it the choice is like this: it seems you haven't burned blu rays yet so it's just a matter of whether upgrading to blank blu-ray backups is worth the extra cost. If not, there's no reason to look for a Bly-ray burner

Reactions: JediMa
Solution
Both suggested drives read blu-rays...
I'm pretty sure the cheap 17 euro DVD Burner is not equipped with the hardware needed to read Blu-Ray discs. If you need the drive to read Blu-Rays, you would need a Blu-Ray drive of some sort, unless your existing drive still works fine for reading discs, and is just having problems with burning DVDs. And if that's the case, have you tried reducing burn speed at all?

I'm pretty sure the cheap 17 euro DVD Burner is not equipped with the hardware needed to read Blu-Ray discs. If you need the drive to read Blu-Rays, you would need a Blu-Ray drive of some sort, unless your existing drive still works fine for reading discs, and is just having problems with burning DVDs. And if that's the case, have you tried reducing burn speed at all?

I was going off the first line where he indicated his old drive was a blu ray player/DVD burner

Opticals are going the way of 8-tracks, people with Terabytes data is so common, Optical speed so slow + HD storage relatively cheap, re-calculate what you used to do. BTW I have more than a few burn discs that I cannot read anymore, so not exactly archival medium unless u go M-Disc, so they say.

popatim

Titan
I still backup my home photos, family videos, & important documents to BDR once a year (old habits) and afaik, no one has studied or reported on the magnetic field decay on current high capacity HDD's to see if they would retain data after a year. A year isn't an issue for most optical media.

Reactions: JediMa