DVD connection to sound card?

G

Should my DVDROM player be connected directly to my sound card by the 4 pin connecter? I haven't had it that way, without major problems. HOwever when playing music CD's sometimes its choppy and skips around. I thought maybe it was cuz I have a cheap sound card, but I'm not sure. I tried connecting the DVD-ROM directly to the sound card, and didn't try playing audio, but it did seem to hang when shutting down and have trouble booting occasionally, so I removed the connection and haven't had any problems.
Any help is appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You should not be having these problems! Maybe something else was wrong at the same time-a coincidence. Normal method is to hook the 4-pin connector on the DVD-ROM to the 4-pin CD audio in connector on the sound card, via a standard 4-pin CD Audio Cable.

Suicide is painless...........

G

The cable I'm using is 4 pin, but only has 3 wires, is this normal? Also hooking the cable up didn't solve the problem. However, I found in the hardware properties a check box to use digital audio was checked, i think unchecking the box may have solved the problem. I'll keep you guys updated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, that is normal, since two of the wires are gound wires and common ground the company who made the cable decided to save $0.0005 per unit by using three-at that rate they may actually save themselves a few hundred dollars a year if they make a million of them!

Suicide is painless...........