DVD copying not working anymore

jdc

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002

Hello all,
I hope someone can shed some light on this problem. I have a Dell 4600
which I use for making and copying DVDs. Before anyone hammers me for
copyright infringement, these burns and copies are just digital photos
which my ENTIRE family now brings to me to burn to CD and DVD and then
copy the burns to share.
Previously, I could do this with no problem, but for the last week or
so, I have been getting a lock-up at 30% copy which requires a reboot
to get out of. This is during the process of actually copying the
initial DVD to disk; not the actual burn of the copy to a new DVD. I
have a 200 GB hard with 180 Gigs free, so space is not the problem.
This problem occurs both with Roxio and DVD Express.
Any thoughts on where I should look for the cause?
Thanks for any ideas anyone can give me.

JDC

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 15:21:02 -0500, JDC <stringslinger@pobox.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for any ideas anyone can give me.

Did you chkdsk /f?

jdc

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 23:49:25 GMT, Jim Kent <j.g.kent@markusplace.com>
wrote:

>Did you chkdsk /f?

No, I hadn't thought of that. Would I be looking for a virus to be the
problem, or cross-linked files or what? I will run it tonight and then
try the copy again.
Thanks
JDC

JDC wrote:
> Hello all,
> I hope someone can shed some light on this problem. I have a Dell 4600
> which I use for making and copying DVDs. Before anyone hammers me for
> copyright infringement, these burns and copies are just digital photos
> which my ENTIRE family now brings to me to burn to CD and DVD and then
> copy the burns to share.
> Previously, I could do this with no problem, but for the last week or
> so, I have been getting a lock-up at 30% copy which requires a reboot
> to get out of. This is during the process of actually copying the
> initial DVD to disk; not the actual burn of the copy to a new DVD. I
> have a 200 GB hard with 180 Gigs free, so space is not the problem.
> This problem occurs both with Roxio and DVD Express.
> Any thoughts on where I should look for the cause?
> Thanks for any ideas anyone can give me.
>
> JDC

If the OS is WinXP, check event viewer logs for disk-related errors, and
do the chkdsk /f as well. Also, run disk cleanup. When temp internet
files are full, it becomes impossible to work with jpg images.

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 20:46:33 -0500, JDC <stringslinger@pobox.com>
wrote:

>Would I be looking for a virus to be the
>problem, or cross-linked files or what?

Absent any other symptoms, which you didn't mention, I wouldn't be
thinking virus. It is possible that through some unexpected behavior
somewhere in your system that the drive tables may have some problem,
like cross-linked files as you mention, or free-space improperly
allocated or something else. I've never seen W2K or XP do anything
like what you describe so all I can offer is speculation.

___

Buck Fush