Question DVD player and regional issues

Aug 29, 2019
I have an Australian laptop and want to use it when in the UK to play UK DVDs. My plan is to buy an external DVD player when I’m in the UK and play via the Australian laptop.Is this a viable solution. Or would the Australian laptop impose regions, restrictions Grateful for any advice

You can change the region of any RPC2 DVD drive, including externals, in the device manager:
dvd-cd-rom-drives.png

change-dvd-region.png

If you look at the picture above, you will note there are a limited number of changes allowed. The region is actually stored in the hardware of the drive so if you run out of changes it will stay on the last one you set. There are some reset utilities that may allow resetting the counter to 5 again, but note that any RPC1 firmware will prevent commercial discs from playing in Windows 7 and later.

So you can either change the region of any internal laptop drive to UK and then back, or else change the region of any external drive you buy in the UK to Australia when you get home.

Reactions: DMAN999
Aug 29, 2019
Very useful. I knew you could get up to 5 changes but thought, lol, that meant I had to change, e,g, from Australia to UK, each time I played a region 2 DVD. Thank you