DVD-RAM

G

Is anyone using DVD-RAM for backups? I currently use CD-RW and it really works well but I am getting over the single disk threshold and it seems that DVD-RAM would be the perfect solution. There aren't many available yet, and they are slow, but who cares when the backup takes place after hours.

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why don't you just get a 30-60gb Tape drive. Save yourself some serious cash. I definately recommend a seagate tape drive. All depends on what u want ( IDE or SCSI, don't get a Floppy ), but i have seen a good 8gb tape drive for under 200 bux...and tapes for as little as 20 bux. might be worth looking into.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How about other solutions like ORB 2.2GB or Jazz? They are better than tape drives. Unless you use don't access your backup files frequently, get a tape drive.

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>member</b>!

G

Im gettin DVD RAM soon but...
What Programs are out there ...
does Cequadrat and Adaptec support it ???
cause im gettin one of those new Hitachi ones
that does CD-R , CD-RW , DVD-R , DVD-RAM

G

What I like about CD-R & CD-RW (and why I am looking into DVD-RAM) for backup is:
* The media is very cheap
* About twice a month I burn on a CD-R and keep a permanent snapshot of my backed up files. I use RW media for daily backup
* The access to backed up information is easy and fast compared to tape drives
* The media is not subject to age deterioration or other damage as easily as tape

G

DVD Rams are still expensive and so are DLT Drives, my recommendation for backups are tape drives made by Ecrix, check out the 33/66 GB Capacity at 6.6 MB/s check out the specs at http://www.ecrix.com. These drives are compatible with most major backup software title.

G

The standard for DVD-RAM has not even been set yet.
Don't even think about buying one until then. Tape
drives are unreliable sometimes, and Zip drives are
too small. Be patient and use your CD writer until
the whole DVD thing is sorted out...

G

Machow, I don't know why, but it seem to me that ORB 2.2GB is screwed :frown: . Look "Faulty product" section in this Community, you will find some feedbacks about it.

G

your writer software should support "spanning disks".
This should keep you going for a long time since your just reaching the limits of one disk.

Good luck!