dvd rom drive not recog any of my audio/data/blank/games!!!

blackns

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
i have a HL-DT-ST-DVD RAM GSA-4167 B dvd rom drive. I have no idea what is going on. Only thing i can think of that has happened is that a few weeks ago, i upgraded my nero 6 to nero 7(trial version). I uninstalled nero 7 after the trial period had expired and then tried reinstalling nero 6 burning rom from the default cd and it couldn't even be read! I tried inserting an audio/data/game/ cd.... nothing happened. Before i had nero 7, it would automatically read the disc and start up but now...nothing! I cant burn cd's but i can burn dvds b/c that seems to be the only thing it recognizes for some reason. Plz help, ive tried just about everything. I cant find any drivers for the device mentioned above and im stumped.

thanks for everything

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
it sounds to me tha some components of nero are still in your systems and it cause you problems.
did you try to restore your system before the time you installed nero 7?
if you do not have a restore point before that date try unistalling copmlete nero.and then delete every thing than links to nero from registry.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Try reflashing/updating your firmware...

If you cant update your firmware, then check your IDE, cable, and CS/Slave/Master jumpers... If you must run it on Master, Slave and not CS.

You may have a toasted toaster.

Download the opensource DVDDecoder. It is a discontinued application, but it is still around (movie industry went after the creator)... there is a commercial software that has the simular name, but dont touch it...

Try reading with that... or under the right most menu, their is a DRIVE menu with a submenu, that lets you change drive settings... Lock and Unlock drives, eject and a few other great things...may lead you to more info.

Then if all else fails, go buy one from newegg... $20 for a drive that includes shipping... cant complain about that...

blackns

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
hi.
it sounds to me tha some components of nero are still in your systems and it cause you problems.
did you try to restore your system before the time you installed nero 7?
if you do not have a restore point before that date try unistalling copmlete nero.and then delete every thing than links to nero from registry.
nah i havent. If i were to do a system restore...that before i installed nero 7, that would mean i'd have to revert back to about 2 1/2 months ago! Would all my music/applications/ and everything be erased from that point (late july-august to now)?

aequalsb

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
If i were to do a system restore...that before i installed nero 7, that would mean i'd have to revert back to about 2 1/2 months ago! Would all my music/applications/ and everything be erased from that point (late july-august to now)?

Dang that system restore, it always tells me that it cannot restore to previous dates and nothing changes.

Is that trial version the one that sayt it's not compatible with windows?

I used it once and after like 10 burns, it made my drive only burn on dvd's. Had to completely wipe the system. (easy way out)

Good luck man.

Andy