DVD+RW is coming!!

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
I have just learned that this summer HP and Philips will be coming out with DVD rewrite drives!! this was big news to me basicly for the fact that they can store 7.4 times the amount of data that cds can store (4.7GB compared to 650MB). I just hope Tom does a quality review of 4 or 5 DVDRW drives

--- Not all idiots are stupid, some merely know <font color=red>no</font color=red><font color=orange>th</font color=orange><font color=blue>ing</font color=blue> ---

G

I've read that sometime this summer Compaq will supposedly be packaging Pioneer DVD+RW drives as an option on several of there computer systems. The Pioneer DVD+RW drives themselves will also go on sale this summer at around $1000 us. Im not sure what the recording speed will be though.

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
probubly by extremly slow and expencive but THE POSIBILITIES!! check out dvdrw.com they seem to have a good hold on things

--- Not all idiots are stupid, some merely know <font color=red>no</font color=red><font color=orange>th</font color=orange><font color=blue>ing</font color=blue> ---

G

DVD-RW drives have been out, Pioneer has had it out for a while... there called DVD-RAM drives,
HP came out with a CDRW-DVD combo drive thats pretty nice... personly i would wait for something with burn-proof

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
do you know what there speed is at?

this was the first i had herd of them

G

No im not talking about the DVD-RAM drives.. those are stupid cuz they are proprietery and you cannot play the dvd disks in anything but a DVD-RAM recorder/reader.
Now DVD+RW is the sh!t.. cuz you can play the disks in any DVD player. Pioneer will soon release there DVD+RW model to consumers.

G

I think SHEEKSTA is confusing CDRW + DVD combo drives with the DVD/CD recorders were talking about.

Any way I found out the Pioneer drive model is DVR-A03 and it will start out at 2x record speed, it will cost around $995 and will be availble at the end of May. :)

G

yep 2x speed... but keep in mind that 2x in dvd speed is comparable to roughly 12x cd speed. So 2x is not as bad as it sounds.

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
but still once dvdrw becomes more widly know about then prices for 20x cdrw drives will drop il guess ill just have to see how it plays out thats for the info

<b><font color=red><^></font color=red></b>

G

I think the problem with dvd+rw will be the price of the dvd media. I'm sure it will be at least 20 bucks. What does a cd-r cost? 10 cents? A quarter? No big deal to give one away, or if the burn fails. I can't think of anything a home user would need 4.7 gigs of storage on one disk for, other than making a personal backup copy of a dvd movie, which is supposed to be legal in the U.S., but the MPAA has made illegal because of it's pathetic encryption. (I hate the MPAA!! Funny that it's legal to make a backup copy of a VHS, but not a DVD... but that's a different subject...)

G

Yes.. I read somewhere that dvd+rw media will initally cost about $20 a piece.. but give it time and prices will drop dramatically. I remember when CDR's cost $15 each and that wasnt to long ago either. Also about encrytion, isnt MPAA looking into watermarking DVD's instead.

Backups? We doan *NEED* no steenking baX%^~,VbKx NO CARRIER