DVD to HDD file copy fails exactly the same on original and replacement DVD

phalcon51

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I was here, but I could use your help.

I recently purchased a digital repair manual that consisted of 4 dual layer DVD's, each with a zipped file of about 7.5 GB. Each zip file is to be copied to the desktop before unzipping and installing the complete program. Disks 1,3, and 4 copied fully with no problem whatsoever. Disk #2 fails consistently at exactly the same point (29% complete, 5.41GB remaining) and in the same manner:
as soon as the counter hits 29% & 5.41GB to go, the transfer rate drops immediately from about 6.5Mb/s to 0. The drive lite remains active for a couple of minutes until a messasge pops up saying "1 Interrupted Action - Can't read from source file or disc". I tried it on two different PC's and a total of 4 different D/L DVD drives with the same result. So, I figured ok, I've got a corrupted disk (though the surface is completely unblemished) and I emailed the person I bought it from and asked him to send another set. He did so with the message that he had tested the replacement disks on his own computer and it copied the disk files to the HDD on his PC as it was supposed to. Unfortunately, my results were the same as with the original disk, failure on Disk #2 at 29% & 5.41GB remaining.
It seems like it must be the disks except for the fact that he was able to copy the file without a problem, so I'm stumped. Does anyone have any idea what the likely culprit is?

He's sending me a 3rd set this week and says he will test them on both his PC and laptop just to make sure they will work, saying that laptop drives can be a little more sensitive to problems on a disk. I've never heard that, but ok, at least it will be another data point.

My PC is a 2017 Alienware Aurora R7 running 64 bit Win 10 with a BDRE Blu-Ray R/W DVD drive.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Gary

Solution
Either a disk or the zip file is the issue. Another option is to just have him share the file to you on cloud storage and provide your email account access to it. or use a 32 or 64GB USB stick to send the files.