[SOLVED] DVD vs USB for installation?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I am dreading installing Windows 10 on my new build. When I built my current rig in 2017 I bought the USB version and it didn't install properly. I don't remember details of what exactly was wrong but I ended up on the phone with Microsoft tech support and they took remote control of my pc and ran sfc/scannow and told me the installation was corrupt. WTF? Brand new everything and an official Microsoft OS and it was corrupt. Long story short I formatted the m.2 ssd and tried again and got everything working.

My question is this. Is it possible that a USB installation transfers data so fast that it could fail to write everything properly. Would a DVD have a better chance of success? I have a DVD tray in my rig and am trying to figure out if I should buy the DVD or USB this time.

Also it looks like there are no updated Windows 10's for sale. The one on Amazon is still the 2015 version. This means it is likely that I will still run into installation issues.

I will be using an Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero for the new build.

Solution
My question is this. Is it possible that a USB installation transfers data so fast that it could fail to write everything properly.
No.
USB is preferred because it is 'faster'. But it is not that fast.

For the purchase, all you are paying for is the license.
The install for a USB, you can create yourself, for free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

USAFRet

Titan
My question is this. Is it possible that a USB installation transfers data so fast that it could fail to write everything properly.
No.

Reactions: ClapTrapper
Solution

Drew125

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2014
No.

I must agree with you. USB is much faster and more up to date. You can even make custom windows usb with virtual box and deployment tools.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
No.

I just read through the entire guide you linked. Good refresher. I wasn't aware you could create a MS account to allow for less hassle if you have to replace motherboard at some point.

I assume it's safest to buy the license directly from the MS store? There's an OEM builder on Amazon but it's only $60 cheaper and has a lot of reviews about them being fake. Unless anybody knows of a place to buy a legitimate license that is less than $199 for the Pro edition.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I just read through the entire guide you linked. Good refresher. I wasn't aware you could create a MS account to allow for less hassle if you have to replace motherboard at some point.
Yep. Since v1607.
Activation Troubleshooter.

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

joeldf

Commendable
Oct 11, 2021
I assume it's safest to buy the license directly from the MS store? There's an OEM builder on Amazon but it's only $60 cheaper and has a lot of reviews about them being fake. Unless anybody knows of a place to buy a legitimate license that is less than $199 for the Pro edition.

Not sure if there is a policy about linking such things on this forum, but I bought an OEM Win 10 Pro license from PC World's store. It was under $100 even with tax. They had a special at the time, but I think there is one now for even less than what I got it for several months ago. The license key was included in the receipt email. As noted above, you simply download the OS itself with MS's Media Creation Tool.

I used the USB option and installed it on a new build, and had no problem at all.

Drew125

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2014
Windows 10 is licensed by a Digital Certificate. It is handled by Microsoft. It links the S/N of your pc to your product key. When you activate windows it is handled automatically as long as you S/N has a product key associated with it.

If you already bought Win 10 for your system why are you trying to buy another one? Is this for a new computer? You can just link your account to the setup you have now then activate it that way again if you are installing it on the same system.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
No.

I still have the Windows 10 USB that I purchased in 2017. I assume the license isn't tied to the USB in any way. I should be able to purchase the download and enter the new license when prompted, correct?
If you already bought Win 10 for your system why are you trying to buy another one? Is this for a new computer? You can just link your account to the setup you have now then activate it that way again if you are installing it on the same system.
I'm building a new rig and keeping the existing one active to replace my 10 year old Dell.

USAFRet

Titan
I still have the Windows 10 USB that I purchased in 2017. I assume the license isn't tied to the USB in any way. I should be able to purchase the download and enter the new license when prompted, correct?
You don't use the USB from 4 years ago...you create a NEW one, for 2021.
The first part of this outlines the process.
And here:

If you've not used the license it came with, you can use that.
If you HAVE used the license, you'll need to transfer that from whatever system it is currently applied to:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
And here:

If you HAVE used the license, you'll need to transfer that from whatever system it is currently applied to:
On the Microsoft store I can purchase either the download or the USB. Are you saying the one I could buy today is different that the 2017 version?
And here:

So if I use the media creation tool it will give me an updated version of Windows 10? In other words I won't have to install all the updates since 2017? Is there any difference between using the media creation tool and purchasing the download from the Microsoft store? I assume that would include the download and the license.

USAFRet

Titan
On the Microsoft store I can purchase either the download or the USB. Are you saying the one I could buy today is different that the 2017 version?

So if I use the media creation tool it will give me an updated version of Windows 10? In other words I won't have to install all the updates since 2017? Is there any difference between using the media creation tool and purchasing the download from the Microsoft store? I assume that would include the download and the license.
If you have an unused license, you do NOT need to purchase another one.

You can create a new USB to install with, for free.
You just need a blank 8GB USB stick.

When you 'purchase' it from MS, you are paying for the license, which you apparently already have.
The install routine is free.

On a working PC, download the MediaCreation tool, run it, and make a new USB to install with. It will include almost all current updates.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
If you have an unused license, you do NOT need to purchase another one.

You can create a new USB to install with, for free.
You just need a blank 8GB USB stick.

When you 'purchase' it from MS, you are paying for the license, which you apparently already have.
The install routine is free.

On a working PC, download the MediaCreation tool, run it, and make a new USB to install with. It will include almost all current updates.
Sorry, I may not have been specific on the details. I am keeping my current gaming rig active as a backup PC and building a new rig so I do need another license. I think I am up to speed now. I will download the media creation tool onto my USB to get the latest version of Windows 10 and then purchase the download from the Microsoft store to get the license.

I'm worried about one thing. I want to make sure if I buy the license download from the Microsoft store that it doesn't try to associate the new license with my CURRENT rig. I want to use the new license on my NEW rig which isn't built yet. Is it safe to buy the download from my current rig?

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry, I may not have been specific on the details. I am keeping my current gaming rig active as a backup PC and building a new rig so I do need another license. I think I am up to speed now. I will download the media creation tool onto my USB to get the latest version of Windows 10 and then purchase the download from the Microsoft store to get the license.
You can also run that not activated if you wish or need more time to buy it.

USAFRet

Titan
Oh, OK.
I thought you already had the second license.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
You can also run that not activated if you wish or need more time to buy it.
That sounds like the safe thing to do. What happens exactly when you buy the "download" version of Windows 10? Does it try to associate it with your current motherboard or does it just send you a license number? See updated post with last question. Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
That sounds like the safe thing to do. What happens exactly when you buy the "download" version of Windows 10? Does it try to associate it with your current motherboard or does it just send you a license number? See updated post with last question. Thank you.
You get the license key, and a link to download the stuff to make your own USB.

The same link as above.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020

It goes on sale from time to time. Check reputable sites like Micro Center (my favorite!),Newegg,BestBuy,etc. Just make sure you are familiar with the company. If not, one day your computer could just not work because MS decided to crack down on those companies selling "dirt cheap" Windows.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I had to revive this post with an update. I hate Microsoft so much I can't even put it into words. I am on the OFFICIAL Microsoft store trying to purchase the Windows 10 Pro download version. The first time I tried I got the circle of death and it never went into my cart. The second time it shows up in my cart and then happily tells me the page requested cannot be found. The third time back to the circle of death. FK the Microsoft store. I found it on Newegg. Brings me back to the nightmare of trying to install Windows 10 on a BRAND NEW rig in 2017. I have a separate post on that. I just don't understand how they have the largest OS on the planet and can't even get their st together so somebody can PAY them to buy their product.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Thank you. I wish they would just pre install Windows on motherboards. LOL
this would be a bad idea.

Which version you get now is hard enough to control. Windows 10 has a new version update every 6 months, So even if windows was preinstalled somehow on mb, so that you just attach a drive, run some function and it installed off the MB rom, you would still likely be several versions behind. MB makers bad enough updating their own drivers, yet alone a version of windows.

And right now its easy to install windows on a new PC, you just put USB in and MB recognises it and boots from it, but if windows were already on the PC, the user would have to go into bios and run something... as you can't just have windows as the default OS on the board as plenty of people use MB for other os apart from Windows, and they sure to make a big song and dance about it.

Its bad enough Asus now auto install Armoury crate on 1st boot of windows, if you use an Asus board.

As for latest post, only thing I ever bought off MS online is Office and that seemed to work first time.

Last edited: