[SOLVED] DVI adapter is making resolution smaller?

Feb 1, 2022
I got a DVI to HDMI Adapter (since the new GPU I wish to get does not have DVI), and the adapter made the resolution smaller. I then got a DVI to Display Port adapter, and that did the same thing. I am 70% sure that my DVIs are dual-link, so what is the problem? Thanks

Solution
I got a DVI to HDMI Adapter (since the new GPU I wish to get does not have DVI), and the adapter made the resolution smaller. I then got a DVI to Display Port adapter, and that did the same thing. I am 70% sure that my DVIs are dual-link, so what is the problem? Thanks
Adapters with active signal conversion are unidirectional (work in one direction only). Direction is from graphics card to monitor.
So if your graphics card has DP output and monitor has DVI input, then you can use DP->DVI adapter. DVI->DP adapter doesn't work there.

Did you read specification of that adapter? It's cheap model and supports resolutions up to 2048x1152@60Hz.
What monitor are you using? 4k monitor can not be used with that adapter at full...
Adapters with active signal conversion are unidirectional (work in one direction only). Direction is from graphics card to monitor.
So if your graphics card has DP output and monitor has DVI input, then you can use DP->DVI adapter. DVI->DP adapter doesn't work there.

Did you read specification of that adapter? It's cheap model and supports resolutions up to 2048x1152@60Hz.
What monitor are you using? 4k monitor can not be used with that adapter at full resolution.

Btw - HDMI to DVI passive adapters are usually limited to single link DVI.

Solution
Feb 1, 2022

What monitor are you using? 4k monitor can not be used with that adapter at full resolution.
Ohh okay! This is the monitor I am using: https://everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_display_30.html . Do you have a recommendation for a different adapter that will work?