Question DVI-D to DVI-I to DP - Is the graphic card gonna be broken ?

Jan 3, 2023
Hi guys, I just bought a new PC that runs RTX 3070

My 2 Monitors only has DVI D and my graphic card has 3 Display Port and 1 HDMI.

So what i did is i have an adapter for DVI-D to HDMI from one monitor

On the other monitor i have DVI-D to an adapter that is DVI-I to DisplayPort

My question now is the monitor DVI-D to DVI-I to DisplayPort can it affect my graphic card ? I don't know i feel like there is too much changes of connection that could affect my graphic card.

Can someone tell me if there could be a problem or not ?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

Make and models of both panels? It won't be affected if you're getting display output to both panels without a hiccup but I'm very sure you could streamline the connection or rather, you spent this much on getting a build with an RTX3070, might as well get concurrent generation panels to match the build(?).

My question now is the monitor DVI-D to DVI-I to DisplayPort can it affect my graphic card ? I don't know i feel like there is too much changes of connection that could affect my graphic card.

No, you're not going to introduce a problem on your hardware by using all these adapters. The only issue is if doing this will cause the signal to degrade to the point where it's not usable.

So what i did is i have an adapter for DVI-D to HDMI from one monitor
This adapter is bi-directional. There should be no problems with it (other than imposed limit on resolutions/refresh rates).
On the other monitor i have DVI-D to an adapter that is DVI-I to DisplayPort
This adapter is uni-directional. Works in one direction only.
So from DP output (on pc) to DVI-D input (on monitor) you need DP to DVI adapter.
DVI to DP adapter has wrong signal conversion direction (for your setup) and will not work here
(also DVI-I cable can not be connected to DVI-D socket on monitor).

Using this adapter will not break anything. It just won't work.

Reactions: Tac 25
Jan 3, 2023
This adapter is bi-directional. There should be no problems with it (other than imposed limit on resolutions/refresh rates).

This adapter is uni-directional. Works in one direction only.
So from DP output (on pc) to DVI-D input (on monitor) you need DP to DVI adapter.
DVI to DP adapter has wrong signal conversion direction (for your setup) and will not work here
(also DVI-I cable can not be connected to DVI-D socket on monitor).

So thank you for your information but everything is working fine here. My monitor that has DVI-D is connected to my adapter that is DVI-I to DP. Everything is working. DVI-I is compatible with DVI-D So i only have digital signal but its working either way. My PC with the rtx 3070 is working on that monitor with that configuration. My question wasn't that if it will work or not because obviously its working but if that configuration will break something in my graphic card in long term or short term. That's it. Since it's a good graphic card i don't want to <Mod Edit> it up. Im gonna buy a new monitor in a month or 2 but for now would there be a hardware problem for the graphic card or not.

well it's working my friend. I guess everybody learn something every day haha

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS