DVI-D to VGA adapter won't work

thenerdgod7221986

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
I just bought a DVI-D to VGA adpater from ebay and it doesn't work I need help please

2KggWV.jpg
Ofyz1s.jpg

OJnudz.jpg

VKlt4x.jpg

Solution
Modern GPUs do not have analog VGA output on their DVI connector and won't work with passive DVI-to-VGA adapters. You need an active adapter which has analog-to-digital converters inside.

thenerdgod7221986

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017

And also there is no signal at all

I keep hearing about a active converter but I don't want to spend $40 on it if it won't work

The adapter I got was only $3

thenerdgod7221986

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017

Thank you for the help :) Guess I'll just suck it and buy one so I can use my monitor :)

Hey,
DVI-D to VGA adapters are for very SPECIFIC GPU outputs that have VGA signals. Very, very rare.

Normally they are DVI-I to VGA adapters, with the graphics card supporting DVI-I output (not just DVI-D).

You need an ACTIVE adapter.

*I think this is compatible (DP to VGA):
https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00Z08TZNU/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1502398334&sr=1-3&keywords=dp+to+vga&refinements=p_72%3A1248879011

Supports up to 1920x1200@60Hz.

If you had a 1600x1200 CRT monitor, then I think you only support that up to roughly 72Hz.

Note that one of these is mini-HDMI. I think his card is normal HDMI.

Also, DVI appears to need additional power so I don't recommend it unless necessary (though it's not clear if the GTX1050TI has enough power or not on DVI). HDMI and DP are both fine likely, but if he plans to ALSO get a high resolution monitor (or 1080p at higher refresh rate such as 144Hz) then going HDMI for the adapter makes more sense so he can reserve DP for the future monitor.

thenerdgod7221986

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017

I have my LG monitor connect to HDMi to DP right now and Flat Screen TV to the HDMI I need the VGA for my 3rd monitor for Twitch

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025212

Minor point but it's actually a DAC (Digital-to-Analog) in this case not an ADC chip.

And just FYI for whoever may care, in past cards the digital output of DVI was usually tapped off internally, sent through a DAC, then either sent as VGA direct or a separate set of pins in DVI-I (meaning "integrated" DVI and VGA pins).

The "VGA adapter" would be passive because the set of pins for analog would connect directly to it. Using DVI would connect to the digital pins.

The removed this DAC as it adds slightly to the cost of the card (as the DVI-I connector would too). Probably not much, but very few people have VGA-only monitors.

So a DAC just adds back the digital-to-analog converter functionality. VGA was originally only needed for CRT's to directly drive the horizontal, vertical and brightness by changing the appropriate voltages.

VGA inputs on flat panels is for compatibility with VGA outputs if you have no supported digital output, but if you had that the GPU is outputting digital, then going through a DAC, then the analog signal goes into the flat-screen's VGA input and converted back to digital via an ADC.