DVI-I to DVI-D adaptor doesn't work.

911shithappens

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
For some reason i decited to connect my older monitor just as a spare screen that while playing I could browse as well. I have 2 adaptors DVI-I to DVI-D and DVI-I to HDMI none of them works. is there is any solution? Monitor it self works fine on other pc which have dvi-i conection but on my gpu wount work its r9 290. Maybe I should look trough settings or something? By the way those adaptors works on my other monitor because thats the 1st thing I did.

911shithappens

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
i just noticed that monitor works when I am in bios and when loading windows once it comes to the point when i need to enter my password monitor stoped working. The one doesn't display for me is with dvi-i cable and and its not removable.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
One explanation would be that the monitor actually requires analog signal thru the DVI-I.

You didn't mention the model of your GPU (or the monitor, for that matter...), but just quickly checking one vendor's site, I found a R9 290 that has *no* analog capabilities. (https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/R9290DC2OC4GD5/specifications/). Connecting an analog monitor to such a GPU would require an active adapter.

Remember, this is all speculation, since you didn't give all the information.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013

The fact that it works in BIOS would indicate that it's a settings problem within Windows (Radeon settings).

It should be in: Radeon Settings -> Display. Do you see multiple displays listed there?