[SOLVED] DVI-I to DVI-D convertion?

Nov 17, 2022
Hi! I ordered a 5 meter long DVI-D dual link to VGA cable on the internet, it's for connecting a GTX 1070 to a rather old display that only has a VGA input. My strix GTX 1070 has 2 display ports, 2 hdmis, but only one DVI-D output port, the one i want to use to connect to the screen.
The problem is the cable that was delivered is a DVI-I dual link, meaning it has 24+4+line separate ports, not the 24+line that is the output on my videocard.
Would it be possible to get rid of the +4 pins, meaning either to rip them out or bend them so far back that they don't bother the connections, or would it not work at all?
I know it is a hassle, but i would rather spend an hour making sure everything is alright with it, comparing it to the other solution which is ordering another pricey cable and wating a week for it to arrive.
image.png
gpuio.jpg

Solution
Those 4 pins provide the analog signal. The port doesn't have openings for those pins because it doesn't support the analog signals that the adapter uses. That's the whole point of having the different connectors. The port is designed to block insertion of those adapters because it doesn't support that functionality. Those 4 extra pins aren't just there to get in the way, if you break them off the adapter will not function.

Please see the guide here for your connection options to a VGA display: https://linustechtips.com/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?input=VGA
Those 4 pins and a ground are the only things attached to the other end. So yes you could break them off to plug it in but then you'd get no picture.

The 1070 has no onboard analog output so you'd need an actual active converter (ie it uses power and has circuitry) to generate the VGA output, as no conversion cable or pin adapter can work.

Those 4 pins provide the analog signal. The port doesn't have openings for those pins because it doesn't support the analog signals that the adapter uses. That's the whole point of having the different connectors. The port is designed to block insertion of those adapters because it doesn't support that functionality. Those 4 extra pins aren't just there to get in the way, if you break them off the adapter will not function.

Please see the guide here for your connection options to a VGA display: https://linustechtips.com/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?input=VGA

Solution