DVI Monitor not recognized after windows10 updated

Azzyasi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
So I've just shutdown my PC with win10 64bit and performed some updates.. after restarting.. I hear the bios post but nothing on screen. I scratch my head.. and turn the TV on (i have it as extended display on HDMI) and see everything is on TV as the main output. from bios post to windows, everything)

Entered display properties in windows and it says there is no other monitor other than my TV.. weird.. I check the cable is fine.. i have two dvi ports and switched to another.. and still nothing. The only output available is HDMI.. the DVI's are not communicating. I've tried plugging the DVI cable into TV and TV does not recognize anything on DVI, so is the case in windows display properties. So the DVI's on the graphics card are not functioning at this moment.
Monitor does not have HDMI.. so I'm stuck staring at the TV.

Tried installing new drivers .. and it won't let me.. it says they are up to date.

PC in question:
CPU: Q9550
MB Abit ix38 quadgt
RAM DDR2 1066 16GB
GPU AMD HD5770
Monitor Horizon 24"
Second monitor Samsung LED TV
some HDD's and SSD and sata3 pci controller.. non relevant.

So any thought about this? is this a hardware failure of the GPU not sending any signal on DVI's? Or it has something to do with some drivers or other things updated by windows10?

Either way, I'd start with a reinstall of GPU driver.. but how to override the "up-to-date no need for update" message

Update.. after digging a VGA cable, monitor is back in business. The graphics card does not have VGA so I dug up a DVI-VGA adapter as well. and it works. But why the DVI not working?

Update 2.. found another DVI cable brand new.. still not working on both DVI's, but with adapter DVI-VGA and VGA cable works perfect for both DVI ports on graphics card.

Also found and manually downloaded latest catalyst for hd5xxx series, installed them and no change.
What a weird coincidence to burn two DVI's at the same time out of the blue after a windows update but HDMI (also digital) does work perfectly.. something does not add up.. I still hope it's software.

Does widows updates tweak graphics card bios?

Final update:
I've narrowed down the problem.. the DVI cable was shot and the monitor DVI input is toast. I've tested with the new DVI cable on another monitor from my other PC and it works on DVI flawlessly.. so no windows fault, no graphics card fault.. just a cable and monitor port.

Weird as the condition of this PC is very static.. the monitor and PC were not moved an inch in the past 5 years. I'll look into it.. maybe just a corroded contact on monitor DVI port.. but I've resolved my problem for now.

Time for a new monitor in near future.