[SOLVED] DVI out, DisplayPort in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2020
Hi Everyone,

Good day! So, I am posting this thread hoping that someone has already experienced and (hopefully) solved the problem that I currently have.

I am using a GTX1060 - which has 4 types of output 2x DV1, 1HDMI, and 1DisplayPort (DP). Recently, I opted to upgrade my monitors from 4x 1080 (60hz) to 3x 2560x1440 (75hz).

After purchasing the monitors, I realized that it only accepts HDMI and DP as input source. I've browsed around for DVI output to DP input adapters and can barely find anything for 2560x1440! Has anyone here solved a similar problem? Would you mind sharing the converter / adapter that you currently use and any problems that you're having with them (if any)?

Buying a new video card is crossing my mind but honestly, I don't need more than my 1060. I play non GPU intensive games on just one of the monitors and I'm more after desktop real-estate over anything else.

Cheers,
Carlos

Hi Everyone,

Good day! So, I am posting this thread hoping that someone has already experienced and (hopefully) solved the problem that I currently have.

I am using a GTX1060 - which has 4 types of output 2x DV1, 1HDMI, and 1DisplayPort (DP). Recently, I opted to upgrade my monitors from 4x 1080 (60hz) to 3x 2560x1440 (75hz).

After purchasing the monitors, I realized that it only accepts HDMI and DP as input source. I've browsed around for DVI output to DP input adapters and can barely find anything for 2560x1440! Has anyone here solved a similar problem? Would you mind sharing the converter / adapter that you currently use and any problems that you're having with them (if any)?

Buying a new video card is crossing my mind but honestly, I don't need more than my 1060. I play non GPU intensive games on just one of the monitors and I'm more after desktop real-estate over anything else.

Cheers,
Carlos

To be able to take advantage of the display 2560x1440 resolution you will need a GPU that has 3 display ports like the Zotac GTX 1060 (12 ZT-P10620A-10M).
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16814500454

Those adapters do not support that resolution or refresh rate.

Mar 14, 2020

Thank you for your response Darkbreeze. However both solutions will not work for me. These two items only work one way, meaning from a DP behind the PC to a non-DP based display.

My issue is coming from a DVI GPU output to a DP input for the monitor.

Cheers!

Mar 14, 2020
To be able to take advantage of the display 2560x1440 resolution you will need a GPU that has 3 display ports like the Zotac GTX 1060 (12 ZT-P10620A-10M).
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16814500454

Those adapters do not support that resolution or refresh rate.

This really saddens me. I was really hoping not to spend any more money. All the more for a video card - Should I just settle for 1080 ughhh

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
This really saddens me. I was really hoping not to spend any more money. All the more for a video card - Should I just settle for 1080 ughhh
Do not waste time and money. I have tried many of those DVI to DP or DVI to HDMI cables and adapters (cheap &expensive/passive & active) and they do not work at the resolution of 2560x1440 .
If it was the other way around, DP to DVI it will work.
The higher resolution you might be able to achieve is 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz

Mar 14, 2020
this adapter claims it only supports resolutions up to 1920x1200.

i have never seen any that can run higher.
your options may be only to change out the GPU or one of the monitors. or maybe try contacting a company like StarTech's customer support and ask them if they produce anything capable.

Yea this was also posted by Darkbreeze. On the very worst case, I'll just run my monitor in a lower rez while I save up for a new GPU. I'm still quite hoping that I can find a solution that won't cost me the same as a GPU lol!

Thanks for the link!

Mar 14, 2020
Do not waste time and money. I have tried many of those DVI to DP or DVI to HDMI cables and adapters (cheap &expensive/passive & active) and they do not work at the resolution of 2560x1440 .
If it was the other way around, DP to DVI it will work.
The higher resolution you might be able to achieve is 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz

So this is what most are saying. I'm still quite hopeful after reading (I'm not sure if I understood it right tho) that the signals that a DVI sends is actually quite similar to an HDMI (minus the audio) - if that's the case, why have a lower capacity? I dunno, my level of understanding on the subject matter does not go that far.

I ordered something like Glenwing has posted. I'll be sure to update you guys if it works to my liking!

Cheers!

So this is what most are saying. I'm still quite hopeful after reading (I'm not sure if I understood it right tho) that the signals that a DVI sends is actually quite similar to an HDMI (minus the audio) - if that's the case, why have a lower capacity? I dunno, my level of understanding on the subject matter does not go that far.

I ordered something like Glenwing has posted. I'll be sure to update you guys if it works to my liking!

Cheers!
The cable posted by Glenwing is a single link DVI cable, thus it could reach 1920x1200 @ 60hz. That cable is just fine for HDTV.
To support higher resolutions (2048x1536) on a monitor a Dual Link DVI to HDMI powered device is required.
A Dual-Link DVI is not pin-compatible with HDMI like a single link DVI is, thus an active converter would be necessary for it to work.
The only device I have found to support up to 2048 x 1152 from DVI in and HDMI out was a Monoprice USB 3.0 powered MultiPort Adapter.

Please do keep us updated, since I am always looking for the best cables and adapters.

Mar 14, 2020
The cable posted by Glenwing is a single link DVI cable, thus it could reach 1920x1200 @ 60hz. That cable is just fine for HDTV.
To support higher resolutions (2048x1536) on a monitor a Dual Link DVI to HDMI powered device is required.
A Dual-Link DVI is not pin-compatible with HDMI like a single link DVI is, thus an active converter would be necessary for it to work.
The only device I have found to support up to 2048 x 1152 from DVI in and HDMI out was a Monoprice USB 3.0 powered MultiPort Adapter.

Please do keep us updated, since I am always looking for the best cables and adapters.

This is noted. Thank you for sharing a bit of the technical parts with me. I Appreciate it. The adapter should be arriving today. For sure, I'll update this thread how things play out.

Cheers

Mar 14, 2020

Sorry for splitting my reply...Your post got me googling about the difference of single link and dual link DVI. Based on the image on the link below, isn't what Glenwing posted a dual link DVI-D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Cheers

If there is no block of plastic where pins are missing in the center of the main cluster of pins, then it is dual link, yes, as seen in the picture indicating dual link DVI-I and DVI-D.

Another option would be to simply purchase a second low end graphics card and install it, along with your gaming card, to connect the non gaming displays to.

Sorry for splitting my reply...Your post got me googling about the difference of single link and dual link DVI. Based on the image on the link below, isn't what Glenwing posted a dual link DVI-D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Cheers
If this is the cable (link below) then read this from the seller "This cable will not reach 4K@30Hz as that resolution requires Dual-Link DVI, while this is an HDMI to Single-Link DVI adapter. HDMI and Dual-Link DVI are not pin-compatible, so an active converter would be necessary to make the connection. "
https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Speed-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B004S4R5CK/

It isn't just about the pins, but if the pins are all wired from one end to the other.
The cable will work but it won't reach your monitor native resolution.

If this is the cable (link below) then read this from the seller "This cable will not reach 4K@30Hz as that resolution requires Dual-Link DVI, while this is an HDMI to Single-Link DVI adapter. HDMI and Dual-Link DVI are not pin-compatible, so an active converter would be necessary to make the connection. "
https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Speed-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B004S4R5CK/

It isn't just about the pins, but if the pins are all wired from one end to the other.
The cable will work but it won't reach your monitor native resolution.
If used for HDMI to DVI then that's true. However since it's being used for DVI to HDMI instead, it will be carrying HDMI signals rather than DVI signals, and HDMI does support 1440p 60 Hz or 4K 30 Hz over a single link pinout, as well as audio, etc. That's why you can get audio through a DVI to HDMI adapter when used in that direction, but not in the other direction. Like I said, I've used that exact cable to run 4K 60 Hz before. When using a DVI to HDMI connection, the connection is equivalent to single-link HDMI, and the capabilities are equivalent to whatever the GPU's HDMI ports can support. If used from HDMI to DVI then it's equivalent to single-link DVI capabilities instead.

wOs3P50.jpg

Reactions: carlosmunoz0885
Mar 14, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I would like to update you guys of the situation. So to recap, I have 3 of Acer v277U (max res. of 2560x1440 at 75hz). It only accepts inputs from DisplayPort and HDMI. My CPU runs of a GTX1060 which outputs display signals on 2x DVI, 1x DP, 1x HDMI.

After using up the DP and HDMI slot, I was troubled on how to use my last monitor knowing that the remaining output slots on my CPU are both DVI.

Suggestions ranged from simple converters, cables with different ends, and to the active adapters which converted DVI to DP. So I decided to start trying with the cheapest one. A dual link DVI adapter that converts to HDMI. I received the item today from Amazon and the results was a success!

I am now running the 3rd monitor at 2560x1440 at 70hz!! Thank you for all your suggestions. I am posting the links to the adapter and cables that I used below.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B010PAOXFW?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06WVSLSP3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers!

Reactions: Glenwing
Status
Not open for further replies.