DVI port not working on GPU

DaleStroYer

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
So a few days ago, my pc hanged completely. i shut it off, removed the cables and it said "no connection" on the monitor. When i plugged in the cable, it said D-SUB no signal.

after a few days and alot of stuff, i had thought it was my 7 year old HDD giving up, so i got a new one. It worked fine, but then the D-SUB thing still happened. when i changed the placement of my cable from my DVI-VGA Adapter on the graphics card to the VGA port on the mobo, it worked. However it's using integrated graphics. Is it possible to use the VGA port on the mobo and use the dedicated GPU?

Solution
Depends on what graphics card you have and what DVI port you're connecting to.

If you're connecting the display using a DVI-I port and a DVI to VGA adapter, then it should work without issue unless the adapter or the port is failing.
If you're connecting the display using a DVI-D port and a DVI to VGA adapter, then what Phillip Corcoran states above is correct.

-Wolf sends
"Is it possible to use the VGA port on the mobo and use the dedicated GPU?"

No

If you are connecting DVI output to D-Sub port on the monitor, you have to use an "active" adapter which converts the digital output (DVI) to analogue input (D-Sub).

If you are currently using a plain non-active adapter, the signal isn't getting converted which is why you are getting the "no signal" error.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Depends on what graphics card you have and what DVI port you're connecting to.

If you're connecting the display using a DVI-I port and a DVI to VGA adapter, then it should work without issue unless the adapter or the port is failing.
If you're connecting the display using a DVI-D port and a DVI to VGA adapter, then what Phillip Corcoran states above is correct.

-Wolf sends

Solution

DaleStroYer

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016

I've been using this adapter for years now with no issue though, so is there a way for me to test if it's the port or the adaptor that's broken?