[SOLVED] DVI to HDMI-Less bright?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2021
I recently added a 3rd monitor to my work setup. One 22" derived from the built in graphics(VA2246), and 2 VA2746 LED MH derived from the 1060 6GB. Both the 22"and 1-27" are using HDMI to HDMI. I didn't have a 3rd HDMI to HDMI cable, so I used a DVI to HDMI cable for one of the 27" displays.

The display supplied with the DVI to HDMI is nowhere near as bright as the other 27". The brightest 27" is the older by around 1.5 years. The more dim 27" has been used less than 3 days thus far.

Is this a characteristic of the DVI to HDMI?

Solution
it would depend on the DVI cable.
just like HDMI there are different versions that can carry different bandwidth and some that are just much lower quality manufacturing.

if you're only running low resolutions with low refresh rates, go to a local store and buy a cheap HDMI cable and see if it corrects the color issue.
it would depend on the DVI cable.
just like HDMI there are different versions that can carry different bandwidth and some that are just much lower quality manufacturing.

if you're only running low resolutions with low refresh rates, go to a local store and buy a cheap HDMI cable and see if it corrects the color issue.

Solution
Strange setup. I'm assuming 22" is tertiary monitor for you, so it would make perfect sense to use worst cable for it. So IMO both 27" should use HDMI cables and 22" should use DVI. Comparing brightness of two screens using different cables makes no sense.

Jul 12, 2021
Strange setup. I'm assuming 22" is tertiary monitor for you, so it would make perfect sense to use worst cable for it. So IMO both 27" should use HDMI cables and 22" should use DVI. Comparing brightness of two screens using different cables makes no sense.

What's strange about it? Both of the 27" get all my blueprint work, and the 22" is vertical to display my pricing software.

I wasn't necessarily comparing the brightness of the two(but there is a very noticeable difference), but asking if having used a DVI cable would cause the issue.

What's strange about it?
Not talking about monitors themselves, just about your connection choices.

The display supplied with the DVI to HDMI is nowhere near as bright as the other 27"
I wasn't necessarily comparing the brightness of the two,
Maybe I don't understand English but to me you did compare them.

asking if having used a DVI cable would cause the issue.
I'd say that's possible. But there are other possibilities (like the problem with monitor itself).

Jul 12, 2021
Not talking about monitors themselves, just about your connection choices.

Maybe I don't understand English but to me you did compare them.

I'd say that's possible. But there are other possibilities (like the problem with monitor itself).

I only used the DVI/HDMI because that's what I had laying around from an old something or other, so it is an older cable.

I guess in a manner of speaking I am comparing the two, but only to provide a context. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: DRagor
Jul 12, 2021
Unless both monitors are the same make/model, purchased at the same time, there will be differences, sometimes quite striking.

they are identical in make/model etc, but the one installed Friday is roughly a year newer. I knew there'd be some variance, but what I'm experiencing is more than I originally thought. Using a black background, one ( the new one) almost looks grayish, while the older one is very vivid.

Using a black background, one ( the new one) almost looks grayish, while the older one is very vivid.
i didn't notice if you said if you've tried switching the cables between the different displays.
is the screen always a slightly different shade regardless of the cable being used?

there's still a chance that you can manually tune the off-color screen to a better image quality.
fine tuning the settings in it's OSD can make a huge difference.

Jul 12, 2021
i didn't notice if you said if you've tried switching the cables between the different displays.
is the screen always a slightly different shade regardless of the cable being used?

there's still a chance that you can manually tune the off-color screen to a better image quality.
fine tuning the settings in it's OSD can make a huge difference.

I didnt try to swap cables as neither of the HDMI that I had were long enough. I should have a 10' tomorrow am so i'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.