Dvi to Hdmi with audio.... How?

Grobins23

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
Going from desktop to hd tv, how to get audio with my set up to the tv..?

20150905_170152.jpg

20150905_170125.jpg

20150905_170052.jpg

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There are two relatively simple way to do this. Before I proceed, though, I will tell you what I am assuming from your pictures. It looks like your mobo has an audio output system built in, with its jacks as a group of six coloured ones on the back panel. You also have an add-on sound card with three jacks plus an optical output connector. I don't know which you have been using for audio output to what? I also see the back of your TV has one HDMI input, plus a set of 5 RCA jacks that do double duty. Those 5 together can be used for Component Video plus two stereo channels, OR for Composite Video plus 2 stereo.

Option 1 - all via HDMI.
This option requires two things in your video hardware. First, the video card must have its own audio chip built in to generate sound. Now, any video card with HDMI output has its own sound chip so it can send out audio on the HDMI cable. But your card does not have HDMI out. It has only DVI out. HOWEVER, check into this detail with the video card maker. First clue: the electrical signals for DVI video out are the SAME as for HDMI video out, so a simple adapter that connects the right wires can be placed in the video cards's DVI output port to convert it into an HDMI output port, and then you run an HDMI standard cable to your TV. At first glance, this does not solve your problem because standard DVI outout ports do NOT have any audio signal to pass on. But many video card makers actually do include an audio chip on such a card and connect its output to some unused pins on the DVI out port, even though this is not "standard". So IF you can confirm that your vid card has this feature, then the second piece of hardware you need is a particular type of adapter plug that includes the connections to feed those audio signals through to the HDMI cable. (There are some DVI-to-HDMI adapters that do this, and some that do NOT, and they look the same!) At the same time, you need to find and install (if it's not there already) the Windows driver for the audio chip on the video card.

Now you need to configure Windows to send sound out the right way. Windows can only use one audio output device at a time, but (if your vid card has the sound chip) your machine has three such devices. Click on Start ... Control Panel ... Sounds and Audio Devices and choose the Audio tab. At the top is the box for specifying the Sound Playback Default Device, with a drop-down chooser window. Click the down-arrow and choose the audio system on your video card. Click OK at the bottom, then back out of Control Panel.

Now, with your computer running and connected via HDMI cable to the TV, configure the TV to use the HDMI input as your signal source. It should all work.

Option 2 - HDMI video, and Stereo Audio Cables.
This option can work if your video card can't put out audio to the HDMI cable. BUT it needs your TV to have a feature. You need to be able to configure the TV to use the HDMI input connector for video PLUS use the Composite Video's two Stereo Sound inputs for audio. If you can do that, here's the set-up. You still need an adapter on the vid card's DVI output to convert that to an HDMI connector, and use HDMI cable to the TV. Then you need a common set of stereo audio cables to connect from a Front Speaker pair output jack on the Computer to the Left and Right RCA Stereo Audio connectors on the TV. THEN you have to use that Windows Sound Playback Device selector to choose the output device you've plugged into - the mobo's or the add-on audio card. And finally, you have to configure your TV to use those two inputs - HDMI plus Stereo audio jacks - as your signal sources.