dwm.exe Slowing down my CPU

Dragon_Arcadia

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
I have a recently built computer having a problem I can't seem to find a solution to. It's a gaming PC running Windows 7.

Basically, while the computer is running, dwm.exe will spike up in usage, and then my CPU will max out. I've noticed a few things that seem to trigger this, but the problem has also occurred randomly. The only way I know to solve it is to end the process for dwm.exe, which has led to other performance issues, or restart the computer. Any advice would be appreciated, because this problem is driving me crazy.

Thanks.

UPDATE

I think I've narrowed it down to the option that's causing the problem. The issue seems to go away if I uncheck "Enable desktop composition." Still, I'd like to find a better solution and solve the problem that's causing this, rather than disabling the option that it's related to.

Could be maleware if its process isnt located in the System32 folder. If it the real dwm.exe the you need to reduce visual effects.

Performance-Options.png

Also change all your Personalization settings like Lock Screen, Color Profiles, etc, and see if it makes the problem go away. Change your theme, wallpaper, and disable screensavers.

Dragon_Arcadia

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017

I don't think it's any sort of maleware because I've had this issue since I first assembled the computer, before it was even connected to the internet. Still, I let my antivirus do a full scan. It fixed a few issues, then the slowdown hit again as soon as it finished. As far as reducing visual options goes, the computer has an i7 and a GTX 1070. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect a program like dwm.exe to cause more strain on the CPU than a AAA game on max settings.

So if anti-virus fixed a few issues you probably have a ton of maleware. Use malewarebytes and scan your system. next use roguekiller to make sure you got every thing. Then use ccleaner to remove all possible bad reg settings. Finally use advanced systemcare scan and boost to make sure everything is clean and you dont have unnecessary sevices running. Get malewarebytes, ccleaner, and advanced systemcare from the first link and roguekiller from the second.
http://download.cnet.com/windows/
http://download.cnet.com/RogueKiller-64-bit/3000-8022_4-75833620.html

TRENDING THREADS