DX10 now or upgrade later?

Pug

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
What do you guys think is better for the money buying a DX10 card now for $400 or getting a $170 card and waiting a year then getting a DX10 card for about $200. Seems to me getting the DX10 card now would be the best bang for the buck unless the DX10 cards go way down in price next year and cost less then $150.

Pug

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
I have a very old card right now. Its 3 years old and I cant play most new games that come out. I got a core 2 duo E6700 and I am planning to build a whole new system with it. I dont want to waste money by upgrading when new cards come out but I also dont want to worry if I can run a new game that comes out. I dont need max settings alot the time though. Would the Radeon X1900 GT last for 2 years? Im starting to lean to that since I heard the price on these cards drop very fast.

mpjesse

Splendid
If I were in your position I'd wait another 6-8 weeks. R600 should be out in March and when it comes out, prices will fall for all DX10 cards. 8800 GTS will probably hit $299. And though many think ATI/AMD will intro a mid-range DX10 card right away, I don't think it'll happen.

Regardless it'd be a bad investment to buy any DX9 based video card right now. New DX10 games won't hit street for another few months, so you're not missing out on anything by not upgrading.

the_stiffmeister

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
IMO get the 8800 now if you can afford it. It's not just good because it supports DX10, it is the most powerful card at the moment. The fact that it is more future proof than any other is a bonus. If had the cash I would get 1 in a second. That CPU you've got is quality and would balance nicely with it, with 2gb of decent RAM you'd have a system that rocks. 8)

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Upgrade later, you're not building a new computer to actually NEED a card right away. As other people have said, in a few weeks those cards will be half the price they are now.

the_stiffmeister

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Upgrade later, you're not building a new computer to actually NEED a card right away. As other people have said, in a few weeks those cards will be half the price they are now.

LOL the 8800 isn't going to be half price WTF. The question is, is it better to buy a DX10 or DX9 card now and obviously a DX10 card makes more sense. You can always wait for card prices to drop but that's always going to happen. It's the nature of the business. Sure ATI are working on something now but in 2 - 3 months nvidia will be working on something new and you'll be saying, shall I wait for the next card to come and we have the same arguement. IMO if you've got the money buy the card now, I mean you're gonna get 2 - 3 months solid play before anything remotely better comes out and then if you want to you can sell the 8800 for good money and upgrade. Otherwise you spend your whole life waiting and trying to second guess the industry instead of just enjoying the products.