bruh1

Reputable
Dec 7, 2019
For the past few days, my computer has been extremely slow. It takes several minutes to boot, random freezing in file explorer and when opening files, videos freeze randomly during playback etc. Is this a sign of dying hard disk or is their some other component at fault? Asking because I upgraded my CPU, ram and motherboard last month.
I am trying to copy data from the HDD to the SSD but when I paste the folders nothing happens, so I cant even make a backup. (I can copy from the SSD to other parts of the SSD but copying from HDD to SSD doesn't work)
Is there any way to save it? According to the windows disk manager tool all the partitions are healthy. I have run chkdsk twice now. It takes several hours to complete and completes successfully, but there is seemingly no effect.
Can completely formatting it save the drive? Or do I just have to get a new drive?

i3-10100
Gigabyte H410m-h v3
Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB
Intel 160GB SSD (with OS and some programs)
1TB Seagate HDD (with most of my data)

Solution
33C is not too high. But that is current temperature.
HDD has been overheating before - 57C (from airflow temperature column worst value).
You have to improve cooling inside pc case.

Also you have over 7k relocated sectors. Your HDD is failing.
Have backups for your important data and be ready to replace your HDD.

bruh1

Reputable
Dec 7, 2019
Open up task Manager/Resource monitor and see what your disk usages are during the stutters. What OS are you working with? How many partitions do you have on your HDD?
OS is Windows 10. There is only one partition on the SSD. The HDD has three partitions but I only use one of them. The stutters only happen after boot. I just rebooted my PC to check the stutters, but it started to run chkdsk again.
Instead of letting chkdsk run for the third time, I just shut off the PC and disconnected the HDD. Now everything is working fine. Fast boot, no stutters. So the problem is definitely the HDD.

bruh1

Reputable
Dec 7, 2019
Check health of your HDD. Use HDtune health.
I reconnected the HDD back again. Now my PC wont even detect the HDD. In task manager, there is 0% activity in the HDD. On HDtune, I get a warning that the airflow temperature is too high. (33C)

I did recently get a new CPU cooler last week, maybe it messed with the airflow? But 33C temperature isnt even that high.

HDD has been overheating before - 57C (from airflow temperature column worst value).

Reactions: bruh1
Solution

bruh1

Reputable
Dec 7, 2019

My CPU cooler fan directly faces the SSD. Do you think this might be causing temperature issues becuase my CPU and GPU temps are perfectly normal. (CPU temps are 39C idle and upto 65C under load)

When in doubt as to whether or not a hard drive is failing, ALWAYS stop using it. The more you use it the harder it is to recover stuff. There used to be a Linux application called ddrescue that you could set up to clone a failing drive. On some I’ve actually done that and been able to run disk check on the new drive and had it boot with the old data. But just in windows, if you keep trying to copy data what happens if I remember is that if it comes across something it can’t copy it keeps trying to read over and over which can finish the drive off.