[SOLVED] Dying nvme SSD in laptop?

Lately I've been having problem with my laptop being extremely slow after startup.
The CPU and RAM usage looked normal but it takes several seconds to open the browser and other applications and Youtube videos are very laggy.
I solved the problem by running chkdsk in command prompt but it came back two days later.
This made me suspect that I may have a failing ssd which could be my very first as all of the SATA ssds in my desktop are running just fine despite being years older.

This less than a year old laptop is an Asus Rog GA502DU with Ryzen 3750H, 2x8 gb, gtx1660ti MaxQ and 256gb Kingston nvme ssd boot drive (with a 500gb added later as secondary drive).

I just want to make sure if it is really the ssd that is failing before I either contact Asus or just replace the POS 256gb ssd with something better

Solution
The boot drive doesn't even show up in the ssd manager even though it is a Kingston drive.
According to Speccy the boot drive is a
238GB KINGSTON RBUSNS8154P3256GJ3 (SATA-2 (SSD))

I might as well replace the pos if I have to secure erase the whole drive :D
Interesting as that is a legitimate product code for Kingston 240GB SSD. I would replace too. (y)
I would run the Kingston SSD Manager on it to see what it says. If it says that it is okay, I have often found that doing a secure erase fixes many issues, although that will delete everything on the drive.

The boot drive doesn't even show up in the ssd manager even though it is a Kingston drive.

RealBeast

Titan

Interesting as that is a legitimate product code for Kingston 240GB SSD. I would replace too. (y)

Reactions: chickenballs
Solution