[SOLVED] Dynamic drives "not valid" after sata ports of two Hdds were switched .

ianchong

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
I switched the sata connections of 2 dynamic hdds and all 4 of my dynamic hdds are now showing as "not valid" under Windows 7. Even 2 drives (mirrored using motherboard bios) which were not moved are also not showing up under windows. However, all drives (6 of them) can been seen under device manager and list as running normally.

How can i recover access to my data? Have i lost my data on all these 4 dynamic drives?

Guidance/assistance is most appreciated.

Ian.

Solution
I assume your screenshot is of the second Data [B.1....] volume (1TB). If so, then the safest way to proceed would be to recover the entire Root to another drive. However, you will need to purchase the basic commercial version of DMDE (US$20).

BTW, the boot sector for the above volume is indicated as missing (x), so ISTM that something must have been done to the drive. However, I confess that my knowledge of dynamic volumes is relatively sparse.

To recover the data from your dynamic volume (4 HDDs), we would need to see the Partitions window for each drive. Then we would identify the relevant volumes, determine their order and their start and end LBAs, and then stitch them together into a single virtual volume. DMDE can then recover...

ianchong

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
fzabkar, you can imagine how desperate/helpless I was feeling before I recd both SkyNetRising and your response. Now ... at least I have some hope.

Did you restore the original cabling?
Yes, I've tried that without success.

Did you write anything to your drives?
I really dont think so. I could not even 'see' those hdds so I dont think I wrote anything to it. I did not dare try out the change 42 to 07 disk edit on my own.

DMDE .. I've no inkling how to get this or how to use it, but will of course be glad to do so with your guidance.

PS.
downloaded the free version of DMDE as well as Testdisk 7.1

Last edited:

ianchong

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
@ fzabkar:
Kindly advice how I should proceed fm here.
I,ve
Sorry, I forgot about your thread.

Launch DMDE, select one of your RAID drives, and show us the resulting Partitions window.

If you r-click your desired partition/volume, and expand the Root, do you see your file/folder structure?

Thanks, so relived .... attaching link :

Wow! Looks like all my directories & files are still listed ...
View: https://imgur.com/a/Ws9GVZv

I assume your screenshot is of the second Data [B.1....] volume (1TB). If so, then the safest way to proceed would be to recover the entire Root to another drive. However, you will need to purchase the basic commercial version of DMDE (US$20).

BTW, the boot sector for the above volume is indicated as missing (x), so ISTM that something must have been done to the drive. However, I confess that my knowledge of dynamic volumes is relatively sparse.

To recover the data from your dynamic volume (4 HDDs), we would need to see the Partitions window for each drive. Then we would identify the relevant volumes, determine their order and their start and end LBAs, and then stitch them together into a single virtual volume. DMDE can then recover the files from this virtual volume to another drive.

Last edited:
Solution

ianchong

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
fzabkar, pls excuse my bad manners for disappearing . Regrettably I have a family medical emergency in progress and only just recalled this loose end I've left dangling.

I am certainly happy to acquire DMDE longterm version ...its obviously a trusted disk tool and widely respected. I hope you will bear with me until I can get back here to pursue my intro to the mystyeries of disk mangement.

Thank you again for the invaluable assistance you and other selfless individuals like yourself offer on this platform.

No problems. I frequently have medical emergencies of my own.

BTW, don't be daunted by the task. I am reasonably confident that you will be able to recover your data. I have been involved in a similar thread not too long ago. DMDE was able to recover a 16TB dynamic volume which was split across two drives, so I think that the same technique should apply in your case.

ianchong

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
Much obliged. Am indeed somewhat daunted but am at the same time considering myself incredibly fortunate to have such an opportunity to learn what has befuddled me for ages (read decades).
Warmest regards.