[SOLVED] dynamic ip don't work

May 4, 2021
When i restart my router it doesn't change my ip (this ip what i see by typing what's my ip in google) but it was changing like one week ago. I have new pc i don't know if this is not a problem. Also sorry for bad english

Solution
Unless you have a very strange router all the configuration is done locally. They do not use any service on the internet to configure them. There were some so called "cloud" configuration routers but that is very stupid. If you mess up the router and it needs the internet to fix it you can't do it. Those routers you ended up doing factory reset. They got so much bad press that I have not seen another company do that. Almost all have a small web server on the router itself and your PC talks to that.

USAFRet

Titan
When i restart my router it doesn't change my ip (this ip what i see by typing what's my ip in google) but it was changing like one week ago. I have new pc i don't know if this is not a problem. Also sorry for bad english
It doesn't automatically change just by rebooting the router.

It changes (or doesn't) via whatever schedule or policy the ISP has.

May 4, 2021
Your IP won't change if it isn't released. Plus, a lot of carrier side dhcp servers will remember the past mac addresses so you'll get the same one regardless.

If you want a different IP, change your router's mac address.
Can something happen with my internet if i will do that?

May 4, 2021
The only way something could is if the mac address of the router is somehow tied into the carrier's network like on a whitelist. If that's the case, you can always change it back and that will restore your service.
So i can configure router without internet?

Unless you have a very strange router all the configuration is done locally. They do not use any service on the internet to configure them. There were some so called "cloud" configuration routers but that is very stupid. If you mess up the router and it needs the internet to fix it you can't do it. Those routers you ended up doing factory reset. They got so much bad press that I have not seen another company do that. Almost all have a small web server on the router itself and your PC talks to that.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
May 4, 2021
Is there a way to check it?

Wow I would never have suspected that. Needing to have internet function to fix a router you accidentally misconfigure is crazy.
I think I would plan on buying a different router in the future some time.

In any case if you have a separate modem you can test if the IP address can change by using your PC. I is much easier to change the mac address on a PC than a router.

If your PC gets the same IP as the router then they have locked the ip to your modem mac address and not the router or pc behind it. This is how mine works. In general you should not need to change the IP and if you really need to change if often a VPN is going to be a better option.