Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the forums mail alert system a little wonky?
I've seen mail come through that is hours after a post in a thread I'm watching.
Or I may not get a mail at all.

The mail is not going to spam and I have not seen a problem with other sites.

D

Deleted member 362816

I have never had good luck with the email system going back to when I started on here. I disabled it long ago.

Is the forums mail alert system a little wonky?
I've seen mail come through that is hours after a post in a thread I'm watching.
Or I may not get a mail at all.

The mail is not going to spam and I have not seen a problem with other sites.

Yes. The same issue at my end as well. I've been experiencing this since last year or so. The email notification alert is a bit weird. Sometimes I instantly get alerts to the threads I'm watching, but sometimes I don't even receive any notification. Or, I receive them after a day or so.

But most importantly in my case, the majority of the alert notifications are going to my Yahoo Email's SPAM folder. Even If I mark the email id/address as not SPAM, it would still go the spam folder.

I think I have already raised this issue long back as well, here at the forums. Can't seem to recall that old thread though.

Yes. The same issue at my end as well. I've been experiencing this since last year or so. The email notification alert is a bit weird. Sometimes I instantly get alerts to the threads I'm watching, but sometimes I don't even receive any notification. Or, I receive them after a day or so.

But most importantly in my case, the majority of the alert notifications are going to my Yahoo Email's SPAM folder. Even If I mark the email id/address as not SPAM, it would still go the spam folder.

I think I have already raised this issue long back as well, here at the forums. Can't seem to recall that old thread though.
Misery loves company I suppose.

Perhaps management can put it on their to-do list and take a peek at what's happening.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Thanks for the update, Rogue ! Good to know this is being looked upon by the Forum Admin/Staff. BTW, right now I got all the email alerts instantly under this Topic/Thread watched by me.

This is what I assume happens, though this is just my guess so don't it seriously.

It might sound a bit weird but I have observed this behavior. Whenever I have my web browser TABs open, or even a new Window, and my EMAIL account as well as this Forum's bookmark and the thread is open, I would instantly get alerts.

If one of the tabs or Window is NOT open in the browser, then the same issue as the OP. No alerts. Though, this could also be a coincidence as well, but I have observed this behavior. But this could also be a coding issue with the Forum's software as well. Dunno ! LOL.

Thanks for the update, Rogue ! Good to know this is being looked upon by the Forum Admin/Staff. BTW, right now I got all the email alerts instantly under this Topic/Thread watched by me.

This is what I assume happens, though this is just my guess so don't it seriously.

It might sound a bit weird but I have observed this behavior. Whenever I have my web browser TABs open, or even a new Window, and my EMAIL account as well as this Forum's bookmark and the thread is open, I would instantly get alerts.

If one of the tabs or Window is NOT open in the browser, then the same issue as the OP. No alerts. Though, this could also be a coincidence as well, but I have observed this behavior. But this could also be a coding issue with the Forum's software as well. Dunno ! LOL.
I would think that if it had something to do with this machine and I had the machine off that the mail would be sent as far as my isp.

That does not happen.

If I have the machine on the mail is still not sent.

Since I started this thread mail seems to be coming through very well for this thread and others.

Wonder if something got reset.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I would think that if it had something to do with this machine and I had the machine off that the mail would be sent as far as my isp.

That does not happen.

If I have the machine on the mail is still not sent.

Since I started this thread mail seems to be coming through very well for this thread and others.

Wonder if something got reset.

There may have been a server blip. Also some email addresses just don't like emails from this site. When I originally signed up, my old primary email wouldn't even work with this. I switched it and that worked.

There may have been a server blip. Also some email addresses just don't like emails from this site. When I originally signed up, my old primary email wouldn't even work with this. I switched it and that worked.
I spoke too soon.
Have 2 msgs in watched threads that have been there for over 40 mins.
No mail.

So back to what I wrote at the start......wonky.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The last email I got from here was in February 2019.
The servers probably only check the forums for email notifications etc every few hours.
Actual notifications on the forums can take a while too, though normally show within 15 minutes.
The same applies for all the charts that show on https://forums.tomshardware.com/members/
constantly updating probably lag out servers.

The last email I got from here was in February 2019.
The servers probably only check the forums for email notifications etc every few hours.
Actual notifications on the forums can take a while too, though normally show within 15 minutes.
The same applies for all the charts that show on https://forums.tomshardware.com/members/
constantly updating probably lag out servers.
It's possible the servers only check every few hours however when things seem to be running proper I see mail within 10 mins or less from a post being added.

When things go wonky I may not get mail at all or the time is 4/6/8/10/12hrs after the new post.

Use your managerial muscle and put a bug in someones ear.

Now it's behaving randomly weird at my end. It was good before though. Out of 3 Forum thread alerts only 1 came into the INBOX, and other two caught by the SPAM folder, hehe. And yes, this comment was also from this same thread !

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
At the risk of putting the jinx on this the mail system has been working very well the past few days.

Perhaps 'bug in ear' was the answer.

alens.jpg

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Colif

Win 11 Master
At the risk of putting the jinx on this the mail system has been working very well the past few days.

Perhaps 'bug in ear' was the answer.

see if its the same on weekends.
Servers like to do strange things on weekends, when no one is around to stop them. Long weekends are worse. But right now they have too many eyes on them to misbehave.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hi, just wanted to ask, can we post MEMES here on the forums ? Just the decent and clean ones, with some sense of humor. I think you guys once told me that we as forum members, are NOT allowed any sort of memes here though ? Anyways, that's not a big issue. I have a lot of funny Memes and quotes with me though, lol.

🤘 :D

If you are replying to a post answering a question and a funny meme can add a little fun contextually to the post sure. If you reply with Memes to be mean spirited or you are somehow denigrating the OP with said meme reply, or you reply ONLY with a meme, thats no go. Yes I know I literally just did that but this is a discussion post in feedback, not a help question on the main forum.

Yes I know I literally just did that but this is a discussion post in feedback, not a help question on the main forum.

Yes exactly that makes sense. I was wondering the same, because this is just an off topic forum feedback thread, so that sounds reasonable. I think all Off Topic/hobby/leisure threads, as well as some "General Discussion" topics can sometimes have memes.

But obviously if the OP has a technical query, or asking for some troubleshooting help, then in this context memes will look awkward and bad. I haven't posted any meme in my off topic MUSIC thread this far though, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.