E6600 overclocking badly..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Ask as many questions as you wish. What I did was buy a 40-60mm fan and some doublesided sticky tape to make the fan stick right on the NB heatsink. You can also stand it up and have it blowing into the side of the NB. I'm using the Tuniq Tower 120 which is just as good as yours, really the one you have is a little better than mine.

My OC is 3.6GHz 400 fsb with a 9x multiplier, my temps at idle are between 26-29c & fully stressed are 54c Tcase and 65 Tjunction or core temp. My cooling at stock were 17c idle & stressed were 28c. When I get a better case I will push 467x8 fsb = 3.7GHz as I have already tested it using Orthos for 24 hours. However I have lapped both my CPU & TT 120, thats why I'm running a little cooler than most.

As for voltages lets wait till you get to 400 fsb, so for now leave it where it is. What are your voltages for FSB volts, NB volts and CPU Vcore at? Heres what lapping looks like when your done.>>

crumble114

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
Thanks alot of the help systemlord and CompuTronix, that would be great if you don't mind CompuTronix!
Ok here are my OC settings at the moment and they are running fine and stable, tested over 16 hours, no errors and good temperatures IMO.
E6600 @ 3109Mhz (345 FSB)
RAM @ 864Mhz (5-5-5-12)
RAM voltage = 2.15V
CPU voltage = 1.4vCore
All the other voltages are set on AUTO as at the time I had no idea what they did.

I was thinking that this is what I'll most likely be trying for my next attempt:
Run next:
400FSB (or 380 if 400 wont POST)
RAM @ 760Mhz (6-6-6-15) (i'm guessing this is OK, as you said, I should try relaxing the timings/speed for RAM while i deal with the CPU OC)
RAM voltage = 2.1V (i'm guessing this is OK)
CPU voltage = 1.525Vcore (too much/too little in your opinion?)
FSB termination = 1.4V (have seen many people with the same value as this one while overclocking the E6600, this ok?)
NB Vcore = ???? (absoloutely no idea about this one at the moment, 1.4/1.5? what do you reckon?)
Again, thanks for the patience with me! :)

@CompuTronix, I wouldn't be able to buy any more components for my computer for a few months now as I tend to buy a few at a time and I just recently bought a load, so I doubt my parents would allow it, great suggestion though and I will definitely look into it at a later time. (parents FTL :p)

crumble114

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
Sigh, I just tried a few more OC settings and none of them would post so I'm back to my original settings... <_<

This is what I tried:

380FSB
760Mhz RAM @ 6-6-6-12
RAMV = 2.1V
Vcore = 1.5V
FSB termination = 1.4V
MCH = 1.65V (i'm guessing this is the NB voltage as there isn't one that says NB, am i correct?)

This failed to post, so I tried the same, but upped the Vcore to 1.55V, still no POST.

I then tried dropping the FSB to 365FSB:

365FSB
730 Mhz @ 6-6-6-12
RAMV = 2.15V
vCore = 1.525V
FSB term = 1.4V
MCH = 1.65V

Still no posting! Angry and annoyed, I tried the following:

355 FSB
710Mhz @ 6-6-6-12
RAMV = 2.15V
vCore = 1.525V
FSB = 1.4V
MCH = 1.65

Still wouldn't bloody POST, I can't seem to get anywhere above what I have it at at the moment!

E6600 @ 3109Mhz (345 FSB)
RAM @ 833Mhz (5-5-5-12)
RAM voltage = 2.15V
CPU voltage = 1.4vCore

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
It seems that you have hit what some would call a FSB hole or bump. Try lowering you multiplier to 8 and try upping the FSB to 400 and if it don't post try shooting past 400 to maybe 425 FSB, you can still get 3.6GHz at 450x8 = 3.6GHz. If anything is stopping you from going any higher in FSB I'd guess its the motherboard because the 975's have been known to not quite go as high in FSB as the P965 chipset which is to be expected. That right there is the main reason I purchased the P965 in the first place.

Sometimes setting a lower multiplier allows for a higher FSB, in this case its true for me. You've heard of those E6300/E6400's overclocking to insane FSB speeds and having high FSB of 500+ with lower multipliers, this is because the E6400's don't have an 8 or 9x multiplier. So try giving it a high FSB with a lower 7x or 8x multiplier and see if that works.

crumble114

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
I will definitely have to try that out later, but first I am going to make sure I cannot reach higher with the 9 multiplier.
A few questions then; is there any disadvantages to running at a lower multiplier instead of a higher one? Will I just keep the same voltages / settings as before, but just change the multiplier? Lastly, how would I go about changing the multiplier? IIRC, when I checked it last time it was locked.
Thanks.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Your multiplier is locked from going any higher than the stock of 9x, but you can lower it to 8x 7x 6x. You will not suffer any performance loss by lowering your multiplier, its just a math game. In my mobo's bios its called Ratio Cmos settings. The lower multipliers are there for just this reason because some mobo can go very high in FSB speeds but only with a lower multiplier. Imagine getting a 540 FSB with a 9x multiplier thats 4.8GHz, only with the most expensive of water cooling.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
crumble114, which BIOS release does your Motherboard have and what version is your MB? If your BIOS is an earlier release, 1305 for example, then it will not allow you to reduce the multiplier. Watch the screen when the system is rebooting to identify BIOS. If you have the earlier version of this MB, it will only allow you to increase the MCH Chipset Voltage from 1.5 to 1.65 (in 0.05 volt increments), while newer versions will allow 1.55 to 1.85 (in 0.1 volt increments) which determines how high you can overclock the FSB.

Based upon what you've written so far, I suspect you have the earlier board with earlier BIOS, which means that even if you flash the BIOS to the latest release, (which will allow you to reduce the multiplier to 8, 7 or 6), you'll still be more FSB limited by a maximum Vmch of 1.65, (due to having the earlier board), so you'll be unable to reach an FSB of 425 Mhz X 8, for 3.4 Ghz. Also, C5 memory is a poor selection for overclocking, and since you're not running Vista, 4 GB is pointless since XP Pro will not read more than ~ 3 GB, and 4 Gb is known to cause stability problems on many Motherboards, including yours, unless you're running XP 64 or Vista.

I would recommend that you eBay or get a refund on the 4 X 1 Gb modules and buy 2 X 1 Gb C4 modules, and buy the $10.00 fan kit for cooling the Northbridge. XP Pro runs best on 2 GB, so please install 2 memory modules only while we continue troubleshooting. The following BIOS settings for your Asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi are those which affect or dertermine overclocking. We will begin at 3.2 Ghz and work our way up.

Advanced

JumperFree Configuration

AI Overclocking: Manual
CPU Frequency: 356
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-712

Performance Mode: Standard
PCI Express Frequency: 100
PCI Clock Syncronization Mode: 33.33MHz

Memory Voltage: 2.1
CPU VCore Voltage: 1.4

FSB Termination Voltage: 1.2
MCH Chipset Voltage: 1.55
ICH Chipset Voltage: 1.05

CPU Configuration

Microcode Updation: Enabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Execution Disable Function: Disabled
Enhance C! Control: Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Enabled

Virtualization Technology: Disabled
Intel (R) SpeedStep (tm) tech: Disabled (Note - Enabled will set multiplier to 6 at Idle, 9 at Load)

Chipset

Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: Disabled
DRAM CAS# Latency: 5 Clocks
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5 Clocks
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5 Clocks
DRAM RAS# Active to Precharge: 15 Clocks
DRAM Write Recovery Time: 5 Clocks
Hyper Path 3: Disabled (NOTE - ENABLED WILL SEVERELY LIMIT OVERCLOCKING !!!)
DRAM Throttling Threshold: Disabled

Boot Graphic Adapter Priority: PCI Express/PCI

PEG Buffer Length: Long
Link Latency: Long
PEG Root Control: Enabled
PEG Link Mode: Faster
Slot Power: High

Power

Hardware Monitor

AI Quiet: Disabled
CPU Q-Fan Control: Disabled
Chassis Q-Fan Control: Disabled
PWR Q-Fan Control: Disabled

The other BIOS settings have no bearing on overclocking or temperatures, however, it's important to familiarize yourself with all the features in BIOS, so learn what you can from by studying the manual, and whatever you don't understand can be found from on-line resources such as Wikipedia.

Let me know what you find regaring your BIOS release, Motherboard version (MCH Chipset Voltage), differences in BIOS settings, and overclocking results.

Hope this helps,

Comp :sol:

crumble114

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
Wow, brilliant help CompuTronix, thanks!
Ok, here we go:
My BIOS version is the newest one out, which is version 2301 I believe, as I just flashed my BIOS with the newest version last week or so. I have no idea which motherboard version I have, but if I recall correctly, the MCH voltages I can choose go up in increments of 0.15V, but I'll have to check this out later to confirm it.
I'll definitely look into getting a refund on my 4GB C5 as I now know it was a stupid idea to do so and I'll try and grab some C4 instead. However, if the company I got the RAM from (overclockers) will not let me return the RAM for a full refund, I wont be bothering with ebay or trying to sell it elsewhere as I don't really have the time to do it, nor the patience. :p
I should be able to get a refund on the 2GB I recently purchased, but the other 2GB I got on the 2nd September 2006, and seeing as it was double the price RAM is today, I doubt I will be getting one for that set.
However, once I've found out for sure, I will post back with more details.

crumble114

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
OK, I've just found out that I will be unable to return my RAM, so that's that for that problem I'm afraid. Secondly, I just checked my BIOS and the values I can change on the MCH voltage are as follows: 1.55/1.65/1.75/1.85V and the multiplier is greyed out, however it says that it is unlocked which must mean that I can infact change it?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
You can not increase the multiplier, but you can decrease it, ONLY if SpeedStep is disabled. Don't get stuck on the multiplier for now. Please follow through with confirming the BIOS settings, particularily Hyper Path 3.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
"Peg Link mode-faster"

Hay CompuTronix I have a question for you, is there any danger of damage to my 7800GTX if I increase my Peg link mode to = faster? Right now its at normal and I have heard people say (in guides to overclocking) that changing this setting can give you considerable performance increase, but then say, "for the brave ones". Thanks for you help. :)

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Did you notice a performance increase?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
systemlord, as I recall, the performance increase was only a few percent as indicated by various 3DMark results, but I'll gratefully take whatever I can get.

crumble114
, I take it from the brevity of your response that:

(A) Your rig won't boot at the above settings for 3.2 Ghz.

(B) You're still unable to reduce the multiplier to 8.

(C) You've installed only two 1 Gb memory modules.

Any other observations?

Reks_One-OC

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010

i have the e6600, i also have tryed all those settings in the beginning and had probs booting... think i got to 3.0ghz when i was changing voltages with the fsb.... finally i realized i didnt need to touch the memory volts or vcore as thats what was messing things up... now im running stable at 3.6 ghz and all the volts on auto... my idle is 41c and load 45-46c.. also my memory is at stock speed 677mhz with volts on auto.. everythings stable as hell as i play high demanding games.. i been tryin different settings for over a week and just yesterday found stability in only upping the fsb to 1600mhz and touching nothing else. althought i cant go above 1666mhz fsb or i wont boot... so i guess that means more volts or memory upping. But try leaving everything on auto and only upping your fsb, bump it up a little at a time. try 1222mhz, if sucesfful try 1333, then 1444,1555 untill you reach 1600 if possible as thats what i did.

before you take my advice keep in mind that i dont know your set up, what are your specs?.I have a asus p5n-e sli motherboard.In the beginning i couldnt make 3.0ghz untill i updated my motherboards bios.. then i was able to overclock my a** off... always make sure you flash your bios to the latest bios. Also i have a very good custom air/fan cooling system so that plays a huge roll also...

Hope this info was helpfull and you achieve your desired speeds:)

Reks_One-OC

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
update to my last post..well. i finally decided to add volts since i was hesitant about heat issiues and go for 3.8ghz and it worked!. havent hung once on boot... i set my fbs to 1695, vcore to 1.53, changed my ram from 677 to 800mhz and set my rams volts to 2.13..i did a stability test it i hit max load 54c and i idle at 43c.. i cant belive how good thie e6600 can OC. 4.0ghz is my next goal but im do some more reading 1st :sol: