EA Ditches SecuROM From Bad Company 2 Steam

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdp245

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I'm glad to see this. I think Steam's DRM is very "friendly" and I don't mind it at all. I only wish they would patch 3rd-party titles more promptly.

amrsss

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
silly question..
I have a Xbox version of this game, but out of curiosity, if you buy Boxed PC version can you "register" it with steam and use this goodness?

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Wow, people have such a short memory. 2 years ago you were ready to crucify EA for the Spore fiasco and now it's all praises because they are removing one DRM from one game in a patch! Huzzaz for ADD...

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I don't know what the fuss is about, if the game works. I don't like getting games from steam due to not owning the actual disk,box, or (instruction guide which by the way is novelty these days). It's the satisfaction you get looking up on your shelf and seeing the collection of games you own. Kinda like your old school Nintendo and Sega games. JMO

redplanet_returns

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
well, Steam is already a form of DRM, which most ppl can accept. it's ubisoft that's brainless enough to want to piss all over the customers and hope they'll get away with it.

also, on a sidenote, i thought it's the studio's decision to remove securom in the patch? EA COULD be responsible for the decision, but if they're not, then they don't really deserve the credit, otherwise, good stuff EA, u've started to shapen up!

G

When you install the PC game you can choose what verification you want to use. Online (with up to to active installs) or SR. I thought it was pretty cool.

zear

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
[citation][nom]user-one[/nom]mark my words. steam will kill the PC gaming industry. NOONE WANTS TO OWN A GAME FOR THE REST OF THIER LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/citation]
Actually, this is one of the major advantages I see to Steam. Heck, I still have my NES and all of its games, and I like to retro it up every so often. Having a permanent, digital copy of my PC games tied to my Steam account (and no need to keep the discs around!) is the main reason I use it.

;)

Why would you be upset that you would need an internet connection to play the game? AFAIK if you have a PC and you game you should also have an internet connection ;) . I could understand if we were in the 56k era but now at days there is no excuse..

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]slaphappy[/nom]Um, NO. I dont keep a pile of cd's next to my computer. I'm guessing your pc looks like one of those trash heaps with mountain dew cans and mcdonalds bags strewn about everywhere, but I keep my shit nice and neat. No garbage, no wires, and certainly no cd's laying around within 1 foot. I use steam precisely for this purpose, all digital downloads for me. While the idea of being able to sell/buy games sounds good on paper, does anybody really do this anymore? I mean, you cant go buying online games off ebay due to the risk someone keeps the key and tries to reuse it screwing you over. And who really buys single player games anymore? In all reality, most people probably buy their games brand new at full retail price and never look back. So why not just have it all be digital? It's not even worth it to get in your car and drive 20 miles to the nearest gamestop to sell your game for $5 and then drive back. It costs you $3 just to make the damn trip![/citation]

Way to read half my post and miss the sarcasm. I, too, keep my desk organized and don't mind swapping DVDs.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Sorry but Steam is just as bad as any other DRM.
I want my games to be completely free of needing someone elses permission to run.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]niz[/nom]Sorry but Steam is just as bad as any other DRM.I want my games to be completely free of needing someone elses permission to run.[/citation]

I don't like drinking whiskey as I like beer, guess what, I don't buy whiskey!!!!

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
great news, now they just need to do that with every game they release on steam. there is no point in having 2 forms of drm. steam is among the most effective drm around no need to put an extra layer in that is dirt easy to remove.
lets hope they remove the stupid c&c4 drm from the steam version.
If pubs want more protection than a simple disk check why can't they just use steam works on their games like thq does, it cause far less anger than ubi.com or ea's new drm on c&c4.

Status
Not open for further replies.