EA Getting Mac Friendly with Origin, Sim City

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]Good, now all we need is a mac with enough power to actually run the game , aint happening[/citation]

dont bare minimum macs with a tower come with a fairly competent gpu?

Well, they gotta make money somehow so I think origin branching out into the mac field isn't so odd...

Infact it might be a good thing, now mac users can complain about origin aswell.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Sim City seem to have shoe boxed sized "city's" unlike the old sim city's where huge city's were possible! Guess ill wait and see once its released.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]Good, now all we need is a mac with enough power to actually run the game , aint happening[/citation]

You mean the i7, and the ATI 6970 available in the iMac aren't enough?

[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Sim City seem to have shoe boxed sized "city's" unlike the old sim city's where huge city's were possible! Guess ill wait and see once its released.[/citation]

I believe we are going to be able to get large cities like before, all they have shown us so far are sandboxed tech demos using Dev builds of the game which they would be perfecting things with first... i hope.

I have been playing sim city since 2000 and hope this will be a brilliant game, although from the pre order selections it does look like they are going to be going heavy on the DLC content which is a letdown, cant we just have a full games worth of content anymore first and then some expansion content after.

Fabel

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
iMac? 6970? NO

6970M where M means.. crap... I mean mobile. And they charge 100€ if you want 2GB of RAM on it XD

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]Fabel[/nom]iMac? 6970? NO6970M where M means.. crap... I mean mobile. And they charge 100€ if you want 2GB of RAM on it XD[/citation]

I'm sure the 6970 will do just fine. I have to wonder though, why if both Origin and Apple are on your hate list why you bothered to read the article at all?

G

[citation][nom]Fabel[/nom]iMac? 6970? NO

6970M where M means.. crap... I mean mobile. And they charge 100€ if you want 2GB of RAM on it XD[/citation]

Nice troll job. You haters are so damn delusional. I'm sure if it was an Acer laptop with the same specs, you would have nothing to say.

Just for that, I am now going to start trolling Android, Google, and Samsung. Enjoy!

Fabel

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
[citation][nom]scannall[/nom]I'm sure the 6970 will do just fine. I have to wonder though, why if both Origin and Apple are on your hate list why you bothered to read the article at all?[/citation]

Did I mention Origin? No
Did I say I hate Apple? No

What I made clear is that The iMac does not pack a 6970, but a 6970M. We are talking about the mobility version of a 2010 GPU. For me that is underpowered and 100€ por an increase of Video RAm is overpriced.

Stop talking of 6970 when it is 6970M. And you CAN'T be sure a 2010 mobile chip will do fine.

[citation][nom]FABELTROLL[/nom]Nice troll job. You haters are so damn delusional. I'm sure if it was an Acer laptop with the same specs, you would have nothing to say.Just for that, I am now going to start trolling Android, Google, and Samsung. Enjoy![/citation]

FABELTROLL? Really? LOL

Let's see... you did not address any of my points... attacked me calling me troll, hater and delusional...
Yeah an ad hominem fanboy comment. Who is the troll here?

Yet the iMac still uses an old mobility chip with an overpriced vram increase option.

BTW I hate Acer, dislike Android, untrust Google and think Samsung is low quality. Now go troll somewhere, you are done here.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Fabel[/nom]Stop talking of 6970 when it is 6970M. And you CAN'T be sure a 2010 mobile chip will do fine.[/citation]

Actually you CAN be sure a 2010 mobile chip will do just fine. Why would they even bother selling SimCity for Mac if none of the Macs can run the game?

I'm also pretty sure the 6750M will run the game just fine. I would even venture out to say that the Intel HD 4000 will run the game just fine.

Anyway... I'm not a fan of Steam/Origin/etc any more than the next person, but it is the reality of today's games. And if it enables PC developers to continue to develop PC games instead of ditching the PC market in favor of the console market... then I will suck it up and use it without complaining.

Also am glad to see developers starting to pay attention to Mac. Less of a single OS monopoly we have, the better. Plus Mac OS X brings us yet another step closer to gaming on Linux. :D

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]I believe we are going to be able to get large cities like before, all they have shown us so far are sandboxed tech demos using Dev builds of the game which they would be perfecting things with first... i hope.I have been playing sim city since 2000 and hope this will be a brilliant game, although from the pre order selections it does look like they are going to be going heavy on the DLC content which is a letdown, cant we just have a full games worth of content anymore first and then some expansion content after.[/citation]

The sandbox tech demo is not what bothers me, its the other assorted previews and leaked photos. The new "large" is according to that info not even between small->medium in the old ones. I won't pre-purchase it but rather wait and see pref by a demo and see where the truth lies.

Fabel

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Actually you CAN be sure a 2010 mobile chip will do just fine. Why would they even bother selling SimCity for Mac if none of the Macs can run the game?[/citation]

Beign able to run a game isn't the same as running it fine. And like with console ports EA does not give a shit about running fine, they care about benefits. Apple is gaining market share and Steam took the first steps, and EA does not want to be left behind. It happened already with digital distribution on PC.

Running the game at low res/low settings isn't doing fine and until they publish the game and it can be tested with a big city you can't tell it will do fine. Take Cities XL for example, can run like crap even on high spec gaming machines. A 6970M would fall to its knees pretty fast.

So no, a 6970M hardly will run a 2013 title fine. Besides an iMac is a beautiful and expensive machine not designed with gaming in mind. Gaming sessions can put its thermals to the limits. A friend of mine got a cheap PC just for games cause he did not want to risk his iMac, plus performance on it was subpar on games.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]scannall[/nom]You mean the i7, and the ATI 6970 available in the iMac aren't enough?[/citation]
For how much? In my country a 1st gen i3 (arrandale i believe) + a 5770 cost 1200+.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]Fabel[/nom]Beign able to run a game isn't the same as running it fine. And like with console ports EA does not give a shit about running fine, they care about benefits. Apple is gaining market share and Steam took the first steps, and EA does not want to be left behind. It happened already with digital distribution on PC.Running the game at low res/low settings isn't doing fine and until they publish the game and it can be tested with a big city you can't tell it will do fine. Take Cities XL for example, can run like crap even on high spec gaming machines. A 6970M would fall to its knees pretty fast.So no, a 6970M hardly will run a 2013 title fine. Besides an iMac is a beautiful and expensive machine not designed with gaming in mind. Gaming sessions can put its thermals to the limits. A friend of mine got a cheap PC just for games cause he did not want to risk his iMac, plus performance on it was subpar on games.[/citation]

I can see how gaming would be a problem for an iMac in the longterm, especially with such a tight ventilation space and a resolution of 2560 x 1440. It's almost like a death sentence to be gaming in that machine.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Still waiting on EA to let me launch Dead Space 2 on Windows 7 64 bit VIA Origin..... EA doesn't give freebies, just free head aches =/

Status
Not open for further replies.