EA Suspending SimCity Marketing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaXimus421

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
There's too much negative exposure on this game. Further marketing would increase this.

It's like setting fuel to the fire. Cutting the marketing will also save money. This is a business strategy and EA trying to slide this under the rug quickly as possible and move on to the next attack.. err... project.. in the game industry. Like someone else said regarding damage-control.

I wonder how long ppl will complain about the Always-Online DRM when there's no more server issues what so ever. Will they all just accept it in the end and continue playing, if they actually enjoy it? Hmm.

EDIT: okay, 'attack' might not be the appropriate word.

coolestcarl

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Its actually a clever conspiracy by the developer ...

EA: Make the new Simcity but you must incorporate our awesome always online DRM
Maxis Developer: Yes boss, but I dont think its a good idea for a resource intensive sandbox simulation game ...
EA: Nonsense! We have the latest Dell uber doober servers. The sales rep from Dell said they can handle anything. Even Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae use them! And they made oodles of money.
Maxis Developer: But past experience has shown us that players tend to run Simcity for hours even when they are not in front of their computer and that wou...
EA: If they can send man to the moon using a calculator, I am sure you can figure out a way to make a game that works like WOW. Just remember who pays your mortgage.
Maxis Developer: Ok boss you got it (I gotta remember to stop whoring myself to the highest bidder. Hey that gives me an idea...)

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Bite the bullet EA, dump origin and go back to steam... At least valve knows what they're doing when it comes to digital distribution and DRM that doesn't completely wreck the game experience.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
EA is too big to fail likewise with steam. a lot of studios with employees will go unemployed. and servers are something that usually plague all popular games at launch. were just impatient that's all. whatever EA is offering to make up for (free game) that won't do for some people. whatever EA does, even if its good or bad. they already create a negative image for years to come.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]anxiousinfusion[/nom]It's the fault of the big wig investors who are probably 60+ years old and couldn't possibly understand the very product they're funding.[/citation]
Same goes for the fat cat executives at EA and Maxis. They are so out of touch that they have no clue what games like Sim City, Hot Pursuit, Spore, Most Wanted, Command and Conquer, Theme Park, and others are all about. They're too busy trying to merchandize the heck out these products and their names while they still can all in the name of short term profit. It's sad to see that bunch of clowns screwing up the franchises successful and visionary people built.

tiret

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Sounds like i am one of the very few people who are actually enjoying the game. i feel sorry for these guys who have to estimate opening sales. If they under-estimate they are assholes and ****ers etc.
if they over-estimate they will be fired for setting up redundant servers and the waste of money associated with that. that's a tough job. general rule as a gamer is not to psyche yourself up so much for launch day. pre-order the game, get it at reduced price and wait a week at least before you play it. Similar reason why i never watch a movie on launch day - nothing worse than watching a movie in a full cinema. as for the game - it is very good. don't let the launch issues discourage you from getting into the best simcity yet.

cheers

Steve911924

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Who here misses:

1) Installing a game onto a PC
2) Running the game (inserting disc if necessary)
3) Playing the game

I am Inspired to play SC3K and SC4 (again) simply because my Internet connection is not one which sustains itself over a long period of time - seems EA's isn't either.

I would very gladly pay $60 for a physical copy or even a digital download akin to Steam games where "always online" is not necessarily a requirement. Failing that wait until a crack comes out, and donate $60+ to charity.

I lol'ed for real. idiocy spreads, it's a fact.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]EA is too big to fail likewise with steam. a lot of studios with employees will go unemployed. and servers are something that usually plague all popular games at launch. were just impatient that's all. whatever EA is offering to make up for (free game) that won't do for some people. whatever EA does, even if its good or bad. they already create a negative image for years to come.[/citation]

That's what they want everyone to think, that the business can't be run without them. But they're wrong. If server overloading is something that usually plagues popular games it should have been expected but it wasn't. There's no way I can see that EA wasn't aware of the problems beforehand. They just ignored them. People are impatient, as they damn well should be when they're paying up to $60 for a game they can't play. EA is the bad guy here, not the "impatient" consumer.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]tiret[/nom]Sounds like i am one of the very few people who are actually enjoying the game. i feel sorry for these guys who have to estimate opening sales. If they under-estimate they are assholes and ****ers etc.
if they over-estimate they will be fired for setting up redundant servers and the waste of money associated with that. that's a tough job. general rule as a gamer is not to psyche yourself up so much for launch day. pre-order the game, get it at reduced price and wait a week at least before you play it. Similar reason why i never watch a movie on launch day - nothing worse than watching a movie in a full cinema. as for the game - it is very good. don't let the launch issues discourage you from getting into the best simcity yet.

cheers[/citation]

Better yet, don't pre-order. Wait a few weeks after the launch to see the reviewer/user reaction on the internet and then make up your mind. If you do pre-order anyway atleast you should be expecting a working game service from day one anything less and you're just affirming the publishers dominance over your money and you're not punishing them for their horrible DRM and incompetence. Also I've never seen any sort of meaningfull pre-order discounts. Not anything that would offset the risk of being served a lemon.

EA did have pre-order sales numbers didn't they? That should have given them a clue as to how much capacity they are likely going to need. As for the thankles job of setting up the servers: Not our problem and we shouldn't be making excuses for them. We should be expecting a return for our investment i.e. a working game.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]This:http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20 [...] t-this-go/[/citation]

Thanks for the link.

[citation][nom]Steve911924[/nom] I am Inspired to play SC3K and SC4 (again) simply because my Internet connection is not one which sustains itself over a long period of time - seems EA's isn't either. [/citation]

The real problem I see is not that people don't have reliable internet but that they are reliant on EA to maintain the server infrastructure. Especially since some of the city simulations are done on the server side. Are they going to keep running the servers indefinetaly? Will they release an offline patch when they take their servers offline? What will happen when a sequel comes and they want people to buy that?

corvak

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Blizzard made a similar move when WoW overloaded its servers in 2003. It went on to become the biggest MMO in history.

Launch glitches don't always spell doom for a game or franchise, though I think Simcity has a harder time than WoW, since MMOs don't always count on high initial sales.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
It's clear that most of the people who comment haven't played the game. I've been playing the last few days and haven't seen any connection issues, even with my super-wonderful internet.

It's starting to sound more and more like EA is wanting to kill the game deliberately, and maybe dump Maxis in the process.

fimbulvinter

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]It's clear that most of the people who comment haven't played the game. I've been playing the last few days and haven't seen any connection issues, even with my super-wonderful internet. It's starting to sound more and more like EA is wanting to kill the game deliberately, and maybe dump Maxis in the process.[/citation]

I have been "playing" the game since release. In quotes because since release I have only been able to get in like 4 times since I can't connect more than half the time and usually give up after 15 minutes of trying. It is fun when I can play, but you have to be bullshitting or extremely lucky.

crateria

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Wow, a company actually wanting you to buy less of their product... despicable.

EA: the utility company of the video game industry.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
[citation][nom]fimbulvinter[/nom]I have been "playing" the game since release. In quotes because since release I have only been able to get in like 4 times since I can't connect more than half the time and usually give up after 15 minutes of trying. It is fun when I can play, but you have to be bullshitting or extremely lucky.
.[/citation]

I've been on every night since release so I doubt he is bullshitting about it. One night I logged off and when I went to log back in it wouldn't let me for the rest of the night but I have been on and played with out issue every night since release.

As you said, once in the game is great. Some bugs but not major and it sounds like they are working on them.

tiret

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
[citation][nom]kettu[/nom] Also I've never seen any sort of meaningfull pre-order discounts. Not anything that would offset the risk of being served a lemon.[/citation]
I usually get around 10 percent off for a pre-order. and the Beta gameplay was excellent. so no chance of being served a melon. I've been playing hassle free since Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.