EA's Need for Speed MMORG Set for July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Well this should be interesting. I'm curious how it'll work though. Will there be lots of smaller "worlds", or will there be 100,000 cars free-roaming a city? :p

matm347

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
I second the need for realistic driving and upgrades...the OG NFS(and maybe NFS II) was all about realistic physics(for the day)...I understand the need for some people to want arcade style driving...but others want some realism to it. Give us a realistic upgrade path (swapping a clutch DOES NOT increase HP!!!) and I'll be sold! Heck, the OG Burnout(ran from a DOS prompt to tell you how old it is) had an AWESOME engine simulator..allowing for cylinder, displacement, boost, nitrous, and complete cam customization.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I've been in the beta a few times, and I'll say it's pretty neat. Realistic driving? Not sure what you're holding as a standard, but it's very similar to Need for Speed Most Wanted. Upgrades? I'm not really sure, I didn't get that far in the beta, but as far as I could tell there weren't actual car upgrades. Never mind 'realistic' ones. Just better cars. But I could be wrong, no quotes here.

@Pyroflea - Yes. It's similar to Districts in Guild Wars.

@Yuka - As far as I know, Project Torque doesn't have an open world. Which is part of the point of NFSW.

@Matm347 - Even 'for the day', I never got a feeling of 'realistic' physics from NFS and NFS 2. I remember it as being not too far from Need for Speed Most Wanted. I guess I could be wrong.

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I played the "beta 4." It has some potential, and at the moment it still needs some work. This game is where the NFS series should have gone before Pro Street. I can't wait to see the car lineup grow.

matm347

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Kelavarus, Yes, NFS and NFS II were about being as close to the real thing as possible. I use the term physics loosely as there wasn't an actual physics engine that I know of.. but the Viper shifted into 4th around 98mph(or 115..I don't remember)..just as a real viper does. The interiors used actual photos of the real cars. You could see the performance difference of .98 vs 1Gs in the turns. If you gave it too much throttle in a turn, you got under/over steer. The NSX(slower car) got whooped by the testarossa(faster car)...Compared to NFS underground2 where all cars handled very similar for the most part and when you hit the gas out of a turn you can "drift" your way out of it, having complete control of left/right during the drift..all of the cars are about the same speed, regardless of displacement or amount of boost, sorry, 6 liters with 18psi would eat 2 liters at the same boost level..nothing realistic about that.

I have not played most wanted, so I cannot compare it.

I checked out the website for this latest NFS and it seems to be a disappointment for me in this way. Upgrades are used to outrun cops and can recharge...the only situation where that could be considered "real" would be in an overboost situation, which would be remedied by a bigger SC/turbo or intercooler...or turning the boost down. Or if the car had a hybrid system built for WOT.

G

"xc0mmiex Wrote: totally free > micro payments > ptp full game ...and i had hopes that EA would make nice for once, foolish me "

Show my 1 totally free MMO that is good then I will 2nd you. (Good as in up there with EVE, GW & WoW) MMO's cost money to make & maintain (Developers, servers etc.) so paying for a MMO is a good thing.

As for this... Don't think I would pay play it (Already playing EVE, GW & WoW :). Might do the trail just to see though.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I played EA's first racing MMO called Motor City Online and loved it...until EA shut it down. MCO was cool, no other racing sim to date has allowed for the same level of customization that MCO offered. Not even any of he Gran Turismos. If you wanted to put a Boss 249 engine in a Mitsubishi eclipse it would let you. It was ridiculous, tons of power but sooo much torque was generated that the eclipse wasnt heavy enough to keep traction. Completely useless...but you could build it if you wanted. I miss that game. It was originally all muscle cars from 1930 to 1971. They started adding tuners in and the game was sunset less than a year after that.

They built a game for a specific customer base then changed it. It's no wonder there were only 40,000 subscribers left by the end. I just dont know about this one.

When it comes to EA buyer beware. It's kind of like buying a Ford Mustang, having it for a year then showing up in the parking lot and seeing that Ford has replaced your Mustang with a Fiesta. It's still a Ford, but it is not what you paid for.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Who said PC gaming was dead?
Console gamers

I think it would be nice if there are options for hundreds of cars, rather than just a few dozen, just for the fun factor. I would love to be able to roll out a pimped and tuned Opal Kadet or a supercharged Reliant Robin, just to say I could.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
It's been done before and didn't really take off. I doubt they will keep the world servers running for more than 2 years after launch as they will have trouble keeping hype high enough to bring in new players.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]I don't understand this game... what can players do... just race?Anything else?[/citation]
Well, based on the other NFS games there was always a ropey back story that I suppose could be construed as missions. Then there was the whole modification and tweaking thing which is no differant than finding bigger swords, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.